97 7.3 up pipe and manifold questions. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

97 7.3 up pipe and manifold questions.

I just replaced my pass side up pipe(the original was badly worn) and both donuts while rebuilding my turbo and installing a 100 housing and 7+7 billet wheel. But when I torqued my up pipe donuts "best I could", holy **** that job was horrible. I could not get the donuts to torque down all the way. I have maybe an 1/8-3/16" of gap between the Y and the flanges that crush the donuts. Are they supposed to be tightened down til they close the gap?(I believe they were when I removed them)?
Next, both manifolds had Loose bolts on the rear cylinders, and were thus leaking... a lot... This is a new to me truck so I'm unsure how long it's been like that. But what do you guys recommend for getting my manifolds sealed back up. I wish I had come here first, If I had known to get bellowed up pipes I would have done that, so I figure I'd ask about what to do with manifolds before I run out to the dealer and hand them a credit card for the parts they recommend.
Thanks a ton. I'm in a bit of a hurry to get this thing going as it's my only vehicle and I'm not sure I want to keep driving as is, so I have posted this on another forum as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 05:00 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 97 7.3 up pipe and manifold questions.

Felpro gaskets for the mating surfaces between manifold and block is what I used. Stock there is no gasket. Use stock Ford bolts to replace, is what I did, also use a quality anti seize paste on threads. There will be a small gap as I recall between Y and up pipe (where you'll see the doughnut). Not uncommon for the rear driver's manifold bolt heads to heat up and pop off causing a leak.

hope that helps.

j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

That helps a ton, thanks, a local autozone has the felpro gaskets in stock and I'm on my way to go get them. I'll report back on how they work. Right now the leak is still pretty bad after re torquing the bolts. I'll throw a straight edge and see how warped they are. Hopefully don't need machining.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode