96 7.3L no WTS light, no start, just turns over - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

96 7.3L no WTS light, no start, just turns over

I've done some research on this to the point I am blue in the face, but I cant figure it out. Truck does not have a WTS light, but will turn over until you burn up the starter, just never fires.

Previous owner replaced:
CPS
GPR
PCM

No change in issues

Got power to the red wire with green tracer on GPR.
Fuel bowl heater has been done away with (unplugged)
All Relays check out for PCM and IDM (put them in the horn relay spot and it still worked)
fuse #22 and #9 are good

I am at a loss. I have no clue what else to look for or to test. The guy who had it got tired of fighting it and I got it for $500!

Early 1999 F-350 7.3L 6 speed 4x4. Single cab w/ flatbed.
4" exhaust
Bully Dog 3 position switch
All stock other than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 03:46 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 96 7.3L no WTS light, no start, just turns over

Shoot, EVTM is in the truck my wife is using, away for a few days. Gotta find that PCM power wire (IIRC it's also red/green) at the PCM connector and test for power there. If you do have 12V there, then PCM is the suspect.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok, I am going to look at that this afternoon. Or could be the pin going into the female plug on the PCM even. Who knows.

4" exhaust

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Guys I really need some help on this one. I'm stumped. I was looking at it tonight. I have power to the cig lighter. Fuse #22 is good and replaced. The PCM relay is good.

When I turn the key on, no WTS light and the glow plug relay does not click. I tested my GPR, it is not grounding out like it should to activate the relay.

I feel like this is going to be something small. What would cause the WTS light not to come on? Is there some sensor that could've gone bad and is not completing the circuit? Something has to be causing it to not power up, or get power in general.

Also replaced the IDM... No change

4" exhaust
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:50 AM
PSN Veteran

Do you get the other warning lights on the dash when you first turn the key on?

Have you been anywhere that water could of gotten to the PCM connector? I'd pull it apart and look for corrosion on the plug, green and white colors on the pins. Just guessing but there is a possibility that the PCM decided to die on you.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 01:30 AM
PSN Veteran

If one of the sensors that use the 5V reference signal short, it will have the same symptoms. Not saying that's your problem however, just something else to check. The sensors that use it are the EBP, CPS, ICP, TPS, BARO, and MAP. You can try disconnecting each of those, one at a time, and see if the WTS light comes on when the key is in the WTS position. The EBP is one of the more common ones that short internally. If that doesn't work, there could still be a short in the 5V circuit in the harness (Brown wire with White stripe for all those sensors, going to PCM connector pin 90). I've also attached the tests for that circuit. Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Reference Voltage Tests.pdf (316.2 KB, 8 views)

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:43 AM
PSN Veteran

Patrick, doesn't the TRS on automatic trucks also use 5V VREF? No access to my EVTM at the moment, so I'm (eeeek!) going from memory.
longjonsilver likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 06:26 AM
PSN Local

Did you ever figure it out? If not try checking grounds to the pcm. Mine did the same thing a few years ago. Glow plugs are turned on by pcm and if the pcm isn't turning on the engine will still turn over but will never fire. In my case it was the ground in front of the driver side battery was loose.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I will have to run those sensors down. I was thinking that could be my problem just because I have replaced/checked everything else. I've all my oil too, so that isn't throwing it off.

I haven't figured it out yet. I'm not one for figuring out electrical gremlins, but I can unplug a sensor or two to find out if that's the problem. I am going to check my main ground as well.

My water in fuel light comes on as its cranking along with all the other normal ones.

4" exhaust
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 07:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Have you checked the oil level in the high pressure oil pump?

If you have done a lot of cranking it could be low and one of your problems in getting the truck to start.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode