Hard start, white smoke, new GPR and GP's - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Hard start, white smoke, new GPR and GP's

Hi guys, first PS here, I love the truck (96 f-250) but when the motor isn't hot it starts hard (multiple key cycles, will start then turn over rough a few times and die, then eventually start and idle normal) and blows lots of white smoke for a few minutes until it warms up. Once it's warm it runs great and doesn't smoke at all. It has a new GPR and GP's. I tested voltage across GPR and its 12.7 on both sides of the relay, the relay stays on for about a minute after key turn. All GP related wiring and connections have been checked. It's been mid 80's here and it still does it. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Hard start, white smoke, new GPR and GP's

Thought I should add that I changed the oil last night and it's 2 quarts low after only being in there for a 1000 miles. I didn't realize it was changed so recently from the seller or I would of waited.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Truck has 180,000 miles.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 05:48 PM
PSN Veteran

What does the fuel filter look like?

Do you know if the injector O rings have ever been replaced?

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 07:29 PM
alleged moderator

welcome to PSN. what brand glow plugs did you put in it?
motorcraft ZD-11 glow plugs ONLY
these trucks do not like any other brand glow plugs. and they will burn out within a few starts, no matter what the parts monkey that sells them to you says.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I'll be changing the fuel filter tonight so I can reply with an answer to that in the morning. I'm almost certain it has the original o-rings, there's at least no record of them being changed.

The guy I bought it from installed the glow plugs and GPR, they are local parts store parts. I don't mind replacing them but I'd hate to do it if it's not the problem. They have less than 1000 miles on them. He said when he put them in it didn't fix the problem either so he didn't even get one start out of them. Is that possible?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:23 PM
PSN Veteran

The aftermarket glow plugs also have a habit of swelling up and when you go to remove them they will then break off. Sometimes you might get lucky and be able to pull them out with some needle nose vice-grips and a lot of work. If not you are looking at pulling the heads.

I'd find out what parts store he bought them at and go find out the manufacture of them. As was mentioned only use Motorcraft/Beau ZD-11's.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Since it hasn't had the injector o-rings changed and he put the cheap glow plugs in I'm thinking that I'll just change both out this weekend. Anybody know where I can find a good write up on doing both jobs? Any other recommendations for things I should do while I have the valve covers off? I prefer to be thorough when doing these types of things. The motor and drive train are really nice on this truck, with 180k on it I don't mind spending some time and money on it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 06:27 PM
PSN Veteran

Have you ohmed the glow plugs?

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 PM
PSN Veteran

^^^^ +1; I'd suspect either bad/crappy GPs not drawing anything, or a wiring issue between the relay and the GPs. Key on, engine off, the voltage should actually be LESS than 12V, more like 11.2-11.5. 12.7V on both sides of the relay, zero drop, tells me that the relay is closing, but the GPs aren't drawing anything.

And I'd consider the FLAPS relay a temporary solution. Get a Stancor or Western Plow relay, and put that FLAPS relay in the glove box / parts box as a spare.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode