Flashing OD light - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Flashing OD light

Hey guys, I went on a trip this weekend up into the mountains, drove up there great, used hardly any gas, had a whole lot of fun. Then today, my Dad asked if I could tow the enclosed trailer down the mountain, and back home, as he didn't like his big 40' motorhome and 24' enclosed on the tight, winding turns.

So I gladly agreed, I just got new brakes, my brake controller is setup, and the trailer only weighs maybe 6,000#. I was using the trans to slow me down and keep me at 55 downhill, just had overdrive turned off, and it stayed at the perfect speed. It didn't feel like it was a lot of pressure on the trans, so I kept doing it, as well as pumping the brakes every once in a while to give it a break.

Well about 75% of the way down, the OD light started flashing, and trans temps were at about 210*. So i pushed the button, and let it go into OD, and then used the brakes the rest of the way down. Got to the bottom, and it was shifting hard, obviously in limp mode with full line pressure. But it shifted through all the gears, so I decided to truck on and make it home (only about 80 miles, and it was all flat). The trans temp never fell below 210*, and hovered around 215* the whole time.

I just got home, and I can't get ForScan to read any of the codes, maybe i'm stupid, but it keeps showing "No DTC found" when i try to make it scan. Then I even tried the KOEO self test, and it immediately just went to 100% and said no problems.

Does anybody know how I can get ForScan to read the code? I also tried TorquePro and ForScan Lite on my android, but no difference. All say no codes, but I KNOW there is a code in there.

I hope I don't end up calling BTS sooner than I thought...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:37 AM
alleged moderator

Re: Flashing OD light

cant answer the code problem because i have never been able to get forskin to work.
21--215 degrees is not anything to worry about.
did your speedometer and tach work all the time? no VSS or tach signal will put the trans in limp mode.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Terminator Nation

Try taking the truck to a transmission shop, most have a decent diagnostics reader to read transmission codes.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:44 PM
PSN Veteran

Manufacture specific codes for transmissions
You have been having issues with your speed sensor yes or no?
Get that code pulled
Next time this happens, stop and reset the computer see if the trans leaves limp mode for the last 80 miles of the trip
running at full line pressure in limp mode towing for 80 miles no bueno, not much choice but its not the greatest thing in the world for your transmission

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Everything worked perfectly, tach and speedo, even cruise control.

I do have a bouncing Speedo though, and I'm pretty sure it's the psom. Ive tried 3 VSS sensors, checked all the wiring, and inspected the tone ring in the diff.

I'll call some trans shops around here and see if anyone can pull a code, I don't know any good trans shops around me though...

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:45 PM
PSN Veteran

The OBS trucks do not have a limp mode.

You do have to get the transmission codes read, other than that anyone is shooting in the dark.

For a trans shop put your zip code into the box and then do a search on this site.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 05:15 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The OBS trucks DID set line pressure high when a transmission code was stored.
410customs likes this.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

I'm a out to take it to a trans shop right now, they said over the phone they would pull the code for free. I'll keep you guys posted

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Got there, got into a little argument with him about why his $75 AutoZone code reader won't work with it. It kept showing 124 codes but none would come up. He finally gave in and grabbed his Snap-On Solus (dunno why he didn't grab it in the first place??), and it came up with 4 codes, 3 of which aren't related:

Im guessing the torque converter has either come apart, or is coming apart? Would I be able to just replace the torque converter, flush the system and call it a day?

If thats the case, I might even do an aftermarket valvebody and a nice triple disk converter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170814_163202.jpg (255.2 KB, 42 views)

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:11 AM
PSN Local

Mine did that about a year ago. Started flashing and shifting weird. It ended being that my transmission died. Had to get a tranny rebuild. I tow around 10k lbs - 20k lbs on my stock rebuilt transmission regularly with no problems. Just take it to a good transmission shop. Mine all said and done was around $3500. The OD light starts flashing any time the tranny slips and is like a check engine light for the tranny. If you're towing a lot of weight, I'd say upgrade the converter. How many miles does your truck have?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode