97 powerstroke miss new to forum - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

97 powerstroke miss new to forum

Im new to the forum. I have a 1997 F-superduty 7.3 manual. Ive had the truck since January and have fixed every problem I've had in this short time frame my self. This problem has gotten the best of me and I can't figure it out. In early May I took the truck out to dinner and on my way back I had the 140+ tune on and did a few pulls. Usually not like me, but I love turbo anything. I was watching my EGT gauge and thought the truck was fine.

Next morning I went out to start the truck for work. The truck started, ran for a couple seconds then died like it was running out of fuel. The truck started right back up and ran rough for a few more seconds then died again. My fuel gauge was at a 1/4 on the front tank. So I thought my pickup in the tank fell off. I switched to the back tank at 1/2tank and cranked. It took all weekend, charging batteries, cranking, batteries, cranking and it started.

I took the truck out for a drive to get any air that was in the system out, Filled the tanks and went for a 30-40 mile drive. While out driving around, my truck stumbled at 1500rpm consisantly (like it dies for a second then starts again). The problem occurs from 1500rpm while under load to 2000rpm while in neutral.

Also the truck also has a intermittent popping noise out the exhaust when my high idle is on. Now the truck does it very faintly at idle too. I made a youtube video of it running with the high idle on. You can hear the popping noise in the vid.

I initially thought it was a bad CPS because of all the 7.3 owners on here who have problems with their cps. I put in a new BWD CPS.
I pulled the filter to see what the bottom of the fuel bowl looked like and it was filled with 1/4inch of gunk on the bottom and had a black film on the inside of the bowl. So my solution was to do a tightwad mod. A new filter water separator and housing. Modified
FPR to return line. I got everything installed and noticed my fuel pump was leaking a lot out the weep hole. I put in a new mechanical fuel pump on and the truck seems a lot more responsive. But the problem still persists.
I then pulled the valve covers to start unplugging injectors to see if one was dead. When I unplugged each injector the only one that sounded like it had no change was the back drivers side. I installed a used injector in its place. No change
While taking the valve covers off I noticed one of the drivers side gasket plugs was melted. I changed that UVCH, glow plugs, and relay.
Then after buying parts, wasting money, and the truck still not fixed I bought a Snap-On MTG2500 scanner so I can run a CCT, buzz test, and monitor ICP IPR injector pulse while it misses. Everything checks out within spec.
I also have a P0344, P0475 in the memory codes. I know the Exhaust pressure control valve code is in there because I put a deleted pedestal in. The intermittent CPS code makes me want to test the wires going from the cps to the pcm.

Im driving this truck 900miles in a month. I need it to work. All help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

"If your not first your last" ~Ricky Bobby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode