On going Issues now no start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
95 F250 2001 F450

On going Issues now no start

1995 f250 turbo 190,000 miles, My problem started with my OD kicking out by itself and off light coming on, then just as randomly it would shift back into OD / light off all by it's self, I did replace the shift handle with a new one, no change. About a week later the truck started spitting and sputtering and dying, then no start, then next thing you know start right up run like a champ for a trip around town, shut it off then next time I go to start it runs bad quits, no start, starts, runs rough, dies. Last time It was running was running fine for a little bit then I shut it off went to restart and haven't been able to restart since just cranks. I had a DP Tuner and have removed it, PCM looks ok no Burnt signs or signs of moisture. I have replaced, the ignition switch, CPS, ICP, IPR, I have oil pressure at the dash gauge, good fuel pressure with the fuel pressure gauge. No check engine lights, finally was able to connect to the vehicle with forscan but it can not identify the vehicle, I am working on that issue. Any thoughts on more things I might try, Been down more than a Month now. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
95 F250 2001 F450

Re: On going Issues now no start

Could really use some help on the diagnostics I was able to get when scanned. My Ipr duty was at 65%, Injection pressure was only 200 PSI and showed no injection pressure voltage. HPOP has full oil, I don't see any leaks and fuel pressure is at 55 PSI truck is not running so all these were taken while cranking with fully charged batteries. Any input on what my problem is or other things I can check would be greatly appreciated. Would like to be pretty sure on the diagnosis before I purchase that expensive oil pump but have been without the truck for over a month and would like to get it resolved. Just tried for the hell of it disconnected the ICP and cranked, pressure showed 3450 PSI and IPR duty showed 50%. I don't know what any of that means but hoping someone can tell me.

Thanks in advance.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 02:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Is there any oil in the ICP connector? If not, there's a good chance that 200 psi is for real. I don't know altogether what that could mean, but one possibility you can't overlook is a weak HPOP.

Just to make sure we're not overlooking the obvious - how's the oil level? And how old is it? Does it appear thin?

And what's the RPM while cranking?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 02:58 AM
PSN Veteran

You say you replaced the icp and ipr. Did you use mortorcraft sensors? Something definitely sounds odd about your hpo system.

Old Blue, 97' F350, CCLB, 7.3, Auto
Air: SD IC, 3" Plenums
Fuel: E- Fuel, 160/30 Injectors
Turbo: Irate T4, S366
Oil: T500, Melling LPOP
PCM: TW TS, IDM Mod
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:16 AM
PSN Local

Sounds like a weak HPOP or a leak in your hpo system and injector o rings are usually the culprit for that. Open your fuel bowl and look at your filter to see if you can notice any oil in getting into your fuel system. Pull your valve covers and have someone crank the motor over and watch to see if you got an oil geyser coming from any of your injectors.

Joe
96 F-250 ECLB w/7.3, E4OD, Dana 60, 6637, KC TP38r, Hydra w/PHP tunes, Swamps HV/HF IDM, Efuel, HB Sr. HPOP, 3"dp to 4"exhaust with aero turbine muffler, Riff Raff bellowed up pipes, gauges - aeroforce interceptor, isspro ev2 pyro, boost & trans temp, IH water pump, Horton Efan clutch, hydroboost, 230amp alternator.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
95 F250 2001 F450

When I got the truck 3 years ago I change oil and all filters and the fuel filter was pretty black and slimy and a lot of smoke at startup, I thought at that time that the o rings were going out but put it off. Trucks been running like a champ until now. I just changed the oil been using Rotella T6 synthetic and it was low, when it hasn't been until now. Fuel filter looked clean, I check it often because it was so gummy when I got it. I don't know if the guy before me ever changed it. I will pull the covers today and see if I see any leaks.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
95 F250 2001 F450

So the fuel bowl is clean but I did have it drained down when I replaced my IPR , filter is about 2 1/2 years old and looks good, i did have the truck running after that for about an hour but after I turn it off I haven't been able to get it to fire again, pulled the value covers and no sign of any oil leaking at the injectors when cranking. I have new o rings but am little hesitant to install them yet with not being able to get it started, would like to have it running before the rings because of the hard start after. What's the best way to verify the oil pressure, the ICP only shows the 200PSI thanks
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:00 PM
PSN Veteran

You can hook a gauge up to the hpo system and read it that way. It really sounds like you need a new hpop.

Old Blue, 97' F350, CCLB, 7.3, Auto
Air: SD IC, 3" Plenums
Fuel: E- Fuel, 160/30 Injectors
Turbo: Irate T4, S366
Oil: T500, Melling LPOP
PCM: TW TS, IDM Mod
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
95 F250 2001 F450

No did not get motor craft , got BWD on the ICP and IPR, I did use motor craft on the CPS
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
95 F250 2001 F450

So I sent off for a liquid filled gauge, 5000 Psi, that will get here tomorrow and if I dead head at the hpop pump what range should the gauge read, under what pressure should I figure the pump is bad and need to replace it. Should I assume if that pump is bad I might have found my problem. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode