Timing cover and Hpop gasket questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Timing cover and Hpop gasket questions

Thanks for letting me into the group first off. I bought a 1997 f250 cclb and it has 308k on it and runs great but after pulling the Hpop and reservoir off
to replace a leaking mounting gasket I realized that the reservoir gasket is a partial gasket with the grey ford silicone? The partial gasket from what I understand is only for 94 and 95 and the motor has a superduty Hpop and 3 chamber Hpop mounting gasket? Maybe this is why my reservoir drains after sitting for a few days and the leak at the mounting gasket is because it's supposed to have the 2 chamber gasket? I'm so stumped here I have owned this truck for three years and it's been great no problems but a small oil leak in the valley which is the hpop mounting gasket. So maybe it's had a motor swap too. Does any one know which mounting gasket I should use the 2 or 3 chamber gasket. Thanks in advance..sorry for the long post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 02:41 PM
PSN Local

Re: Timing cover and Hpop gasket questions

dont know a lot about the different hpops but if it really is a 250 crew cab long bed you have some sort of pieced together truck being as ford never built that

97ccsb 4x4
395k miles
3"dp 4" exhaust
digital egt gage & trans temp
aeroforce intercptor single gauge
swamps ts chip
baby swamps
kc turbos billet wheel and 1.0 housing
dana 60 swap (all stock 350 stuff for now)
77 f150 4x4 rclb
getting a 4.6 4v with m5od soon (in process)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 03:35 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Timing cover and Hpop gasket questions

If the reservoir has 1/8 NPT threads for the oil pressure switch and inspection plug, it is the older one. If the switch and plug have straight threads and o-ring seals, it is the newer style. If it is the older style it will use the 2-chamber gasket, but the HPOP pump body needs to be the older style as well. If a later SD HPOP is used, that is why you get the draindown issue (earlier HPOPs had a built-in check valve to prevent the draindown. Later reservoirs and front covers were changed to have a standpipe built in. The HPOP gasket was changed to the 3-chamber and the check valve was removed from the HPOP at the same time). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Wow thanks for the details Patrick it's looks to be that I have a different motor or older cover. So since I already have the 17 degree pump how could I make this work I read about having terminator engineering swapping the guts but I don't have two pumps unfortunatly is there anyone that sells a 17 with the check valve in the pump? Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode