'95 Throttle Cutting Out - Intermittent Problems - At The End of My Troubleshooting Capability - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Send a message via Skype™ to angiem357
Question '95 Throttle Cutting Out - Intermittent Problems - At The End of My Troubleshooting Capability

Hi, guys. I've searched the forums for topics related to this one, but each one is just a little different. This might be a little long, so I apologize in advance. For reference, my truck is totally stock.

Awhile back, I started my truck after it sat for a week and the CEL came on, along with a really rough idle. When I turned off the truck and started it again, it did it again. I did some research on code scanners and several people recommended either a Superchips 1705 or a BAFX bluetooth. I opted for the BAFX.

While waiting for the scanner to arrive, I started the truck again. It started and ran fine, then the WTS light flashed a few times and went off. I drove it and the throttle was cutting out intermittently.

Started the truck after BAFX got here, and it ran fine. Drove it once with no problems for awhile, then the throttle started cutting out.

Next time, the CEL came on and it was running really rough. Used the code scanner and, although it said it was connected to the ECU, no pending or stored codes were coming up.

Drove it to get it inspected real quick while it was behaving itself one day and figured the problem had just resolved itself by some stroke of magic.

This has continued a few times. Check for codes each time, and nothing.

I drove it a week ago and the idle would drop to almost dying and flutter up and down when I'd come to a stop and it reminded me of the last time my CPS went bad. Got a new one from IH and installed it. Test drove it with zero issues.

Got in it this morning and as soon as I got out of the driveway, the CEL came on, went out, and then the throttle started cutting out again.

I checked the IPC and it's clean. I replaced the accelerator position sensor a couple of years ago - checked the wiring and such and it looks good.

My main concern is the difficulty in replicating it on demand. This truck is cursed with intermittent issues that never show up when I've taken it to the shop after exhausting my ability to troubleshoot on my own. Last time, they pulled the harness, checked everything, said it all looked good. My second concern is that the BAFX might not actually be compatible with my truck despite what others have said. I know it's not a top of the line diag tool but, with the parts I'm likely to have to buy, I can't really budget in a $200+ tool. I'm a poor college student!

I've had another person suggest the HPOP *or* a combination of issues going on at once.

If you're still reading, I appreciate your patience. Especially since I'm losing mine. I've been trying to diagnose this since June and I kinda need my truck running correctly by August 18, as I have to go back to school. So any help y'all may be able to give would be really, really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:01 PM
alleged moderator

Re: '95 Throttle Cutting Out - Intermittent Problems - At The End of My Troubleshooting Capability

welcome to PSN.

your throttle position sensor may be going out.
if you know someone with a similar truck, you could try swapping the fuel pedal and TPS to see if the issue goes away in your truck and shows up in theirs.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 10:25 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: '95 Throttle Cutting Out - Intermittent Problems - At The End of My Troubleshooting Capability

Along with the pedal position sensor, the idle switch on the pedal is high on the suspect list. But you need a device that will obtain the codes. If the CEL went on, there are codes. Your device should at least return a P1111 for "system pass". If the device can really communicate properly with the truck, and can read live data, you should monitor APS (pedal pos sensor) and IVS (idle switch).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Send a message via Skype™ to angiem357

Thanks, tjctransport and madpogue for your quick responses. I have a friend with a wrecked 95 (I'm assuming he still has it) so I may see if I can borrow his entire pedal assy for diag purposes. It's a start, at least.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode