Bad IDM? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Bad IDM?

Hey guys, is there anyway to actually test an IDM? I have FORScan on my laptop but there is very few options and such.

Story goes, I was on my way to work, and tried to pull away from a stop sign, it threw a check engine light and felt like a bank of cylinders wasn't firing. So i pulled over, and checked oil level, it was good. Pulled ICP plug, no difference. Checked all the valve cover wiring, it was all plugged in, and no burnt pins. So i limped it home (about .5 a mile). And parked it until i got home from work.

I got home later that night, and Ohmed out the harness at the 29-pin plug on the driver side fender, all ohmed out at 3 ohms. Re-checked harness, no burnt pins.

I decided I need to pull the codes to find out what to do first, so I ordered the BAFX bluetooth ELM327 dongle, and downloaded FORScan on my laptop. Ran a buzz test with it and it threw code p0261. I pulled the passenger valve cover to see if there is oil spitting out while running. But injectors 3, 5, and 7 are not spitting at all, and injector 1 is barely spitting anything. (Mind you, injector 3, 5, and 7 have been replaced with Remans less than 6,000 miles ago, and ran great up until today).

So I tried to disconnect injector #1 and run it, to my surprise, the truck ran much better, with no CEL, and injectors # 3, 5, and 7 were now spitting plenty of oil, just as they should. But when i plug injector #1 back in, the truck throws the code and shuts the entire bank down.

Then I swapped solenoids from injector #1 to #5 to test the solenoids,
and plugged in injectors #1, 3, and 7, and started the truck. Injector #1 was now working as it should, spitting oil just as it should, but if I plugged in injector #5 while it was running, it would shut the whole bank down and throw a code. After more experimentation, i found out that if you left 1 injector unplugged, ANY one injector, it would run good. And the 3 injectors I left plugged in would operate as they should, but whenever you plug in the last injector, it would shut down the entire bank.

So i know all 4 injectors are working properly, the harness is ohming out great, even with me shaking the harness all around, the harness isnt rubbed through on the driver side valve cover. So I think the only thing left is the IDM, PCM or maybe even the slight possibility of the valve cover gaskets and UVCH still being bad even after ohming out and looking great.

Back to my original question. How do i test the IDM? I don't have a spare, nor know anybody that has one to swap with so i'm a little SOL, but I also dont want to spend the $4-500 on a new one if I dont need it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 02:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Bad IDM?

maybe somebody here has a IDM you can try for testing
What about your local craigslist or junkyard? any 7.3 IDM will work I have been told

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 04:44 PM
PSN Veteran

So you swapped the #1 and #5 solenoids, and the #5 became the bogey? That tells me that solenoid is bad.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

No, the #5 injector still works, as long as i leave one of the other injectors unplugged. i can plug in #1, 5, and 7 and it runs fine, or #1, 3, and 7 and it works fine, or any combination of 3 injectors, and it works fine. But as soon as i plug in a 4th injector, the IDM throws a fit.

I'm going to try and find a junkyard near me that has a 7.3... wish me luck.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Got bored and pulled the IDM apart to have a peek inside, and to me, it all looks great, doesn't look like any water damage, or anything fried, but my eyes are bad, and I don't know much about circuit boards either lol. I resealed it up once i snapped a few pics. Anybody got any other ideas? I don't wanna just throw parts at it, especially since all the parts it could be are over $3-400.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Just found a guy selling an IDM, got it for $110 shipped, and hes sending me another one he says is in unknown condition. He just wants it out of his garage. Hes putting it in the mail tomorrow, we'll see how it goes.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:24 AM
Native Texan

Garage

well if its internal to one of the transistors or ic chips you wont see it. Yeah I have one off a 97 that ran and drove and it started my truck fine until I ran buzz test and it showed a code for one of my brand new injectors I put the original Idm on my truck and no codes so I will get that one rebuilt for a spare. just have to figure out who to do it.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Im gonna have Swamps go through my stuff, now that i have 3 total IDMs, maybe they'll do the HVHF mod in trade for the other 2

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:33 AM
PSN Veteran

Awsome man. Your getting her dicked.

Old Blue, 97' F350, CCLB, 7.3, Auto
Air: SD IC, 3" Plenums
Fuel: E- Fuel, 160/30 Injectors
Turbo: Irate T4, S366
Oil: T500, Melling LPOP
PCM: TW TS, IDM Mod
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Lets hope this fixes the problem, cause if it doesn't, ill just end up buying valve cover gaskets, and if that doesn't fix it, it'll be a PCM or injectors, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode