Dana 60 swap driveshaft issue - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Dana 60 swap driveshaft issue

Hey guys I recently swapped in a Dana 60 from a 96 f350 into my 97 f250, everything went smoothly until I tried to hook up my driveshaft. I bought the f350 driveshaft with the axle because I heard it was a better driveshaft than the f250 but when I bolted it up to the axle, it was way too short and couldn't reach the transfer case, what could be the reason for this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Native Texan

Garage
Re: Dana 60 swap driveshaft issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAobs View Post
Hey guys I recently swapped in a Dana 60 from a 96 f350 into my 97 f250, everything went smoothly until I tried to hook up my driveshaft. I bought the f350 driveshaft with the axle because I heard it was a better driveshaft than the f250 but when I bolted it up to the axle, it was way too short and couldn't reach the transfer case, what could be the reason for this? Thanks
It has a collapsible section are u sure its not just collapsed.

Sent from my Super awesome outdated Samsung that doesn't burst into flames using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 08:32 PM
Native Texan

Garage

The other option is the drive shaft is for the wrong transmission. The manual is shorter then an automatic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 08:34 PM
Project Shamu

That, or depending on what lift you are running, it might just be plain ol' too short now.

1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I think it must have come from a manual, because I don't have any lift and I pulled it as far is it could go and it still didn't connect.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Take the drive shaft to a drive line shop and have them lengthen it. They will tell you what the measurements are that you need to do.

This will be a lot easier than trying to find a correct drive line if you can't reuse your old one..

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
Take the drive shaft to a drive line shop and have them lengthen it. They will tell you what the measurements are that you need to do.

This will be a lot easier than trying to find a correct drive line if you can't reuse your old one..
Yeah that's basically what my dad said to do I just wanted to make sure there weren't any other issues or things I was overlooking, also I thought I read that there was issues with the f350 driveshaft on the f250 transfer case? But if not I'll just get it lengthened
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 03:35 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAobs View Post
Yeah that's basically what my dad said to do I just wanted to make sure there weren't any other issues or things I was overlooking, also I thought I read that there was issues with the f350 driveshaft on the f250 transfer case? But if not I'll just get it lengthened
That is correct also. The yoke that goes into the transfer case is different between the 250 and 350 because of the different u joint used on the drive shaft. I couldn't find the correct 350 one when I did my conversion. I found one that was close and had to modify it some to make it work. I guess someone found a bunch of new ones and bought them, but I don't remember who.

96 F250 CCSB 4x4, D60, 3.55, Auto, 6.0 trans cooler 3"-4" down pipe & exhaust, not enough power

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode