7.3 problems/ information - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

7.3 problems/ information

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum.
I've always been in love with the obs 7.3 since I was a kid and now I'm shopping for them and I have my eyes set on a couple near me.

My main question is what kind of common problems I will be looking at immediately and in the long run for the big 7.3? The only thing I've been told about are the injectors but nothing else

Both of the trucks are 97 and both have roughly 200k on them

I just started going to school for John Deere diesel mechanics so I hope to understand the problems much more as time goes on.

Thanks for all the help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 01:16 AM
Project Shamu

Re: 7.3 problems/ information

Keep a Ford CPS in the glove box, along with a 10mm wrench. They tend to go bad without warning.

Use ONLY Motorcraft filters. Yes, it really does matter, and they arent that expensive. A Motorcraft oil filter at o'reillys and autozone is $9.99. Part #: 1995

I can't think of anything else, but hopefully this will get the ball rolling for other people to chime in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 AM
PSN Local

Another thing is that the fuel injection system is different than most other diesel engines, so your John Deere school won't help much with the powerstroke. The injectors are operated by high pressure oil, rather than an injector pump that pressurizes the fuel, and sometimes you can chase HPO problems all over the place. O-rings sensors and oil leaks can be problems too. If you don't already have a professional grade code reader, you'll have problems finding a lot of the little quirks. Either a high end reader, or an OBD-II dongle with a software scanner is a must.......

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 09:48 PM
PSN Veteran

One other thing to think about with the powerstroke is knowing how to find, test and repair electrical faults . Hydraulic problems can be a known issue on Heui diesels, the electrical wires that provide the power to the injectors often times fail from oil saturation , heat and vibration. Knowing how to read a wire diagram , test continuity and load the wires will be a very necessary skill in repairing the 7.3 and 6.0 for that matter .
One other thing to think about is the cooling system and proper maintenance of the SCAs . While engine failure due to cavitation isn't a huge problem with the 7.3 stroke as it was with the idi 7.3 there is still cavitation going on when the engine is running .You'll want to get some test strips to see what going on in the cooling system so you can determine if it needs a supplemental coolant additive . This is almost always over looked .
This engine is a great engine to learn on and a great introduction to electronically fired injection !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:10 AM
PSN Veteran

if they are 250s take a good hard look at the 500 lb piece of spaghetti front axle, if they are automatics, e40d rebuilds are expensive, check the bed for blood.....good hunting trucks always have blood in the bed (just my 02)......mine is pushing 330k and still going strong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode