Slowest Coolant Leak Ever - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Slowest Coolant Leak Ever

.....and I'm still looking. I've been looking for this leak for the better part of 2 months. I fill it up until the coolant just touches the words on the degas bottle "cold fill line". After 2000 miles it finally falls just below the low fill mark. I add about 2-3 cups and we are full again. I put dye in the coolant but can't find the leak. I tried the NAPA combustion gas tester 4x now and absolutely nothing. I had blackstone test my oil and not a trace of glycol. I'm not sure what else to do. It will hold pressure all night long. It loses pressure slowly when I pressurize it to 16psi. 10 hours later it still hisses when I remove the cap!!!!! I even bypassed the heater core and still slowly dropping. Any random ideas here??

On a side note......I got nervous as hell when I used my new high power black light under the hood. I removed the oil cap and it was glowing green!!!! Then I looked at my drain valve on the pan and it was glowing green!! The dye from my coolant in the oil, or so I thought. I then shook up a fresh quart of Delo 5w/40 synthetic and low and behold.....the bottom of the cap glows green! Whew!!

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 05:49 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Slowest Coolant Leak Ever

Do you have any friends that like to play rotten tricks?

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 09:42 AM
alleged moderator

what happens if you do not add any coolant, does it find a spot and stay there?
my 88 will leak until the radiator is 1 inches low, they stays at that mark. for the past 18 years.

my 02 will leak until the bottle is almost 3/4 empty, then stop leaking. so i just leave both trucks like that.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Until I replaced the waterpump and added new coolant, it always stayed right between the 2 marks. I'm letting it fall now and not going to add unless the bottle gets completely empty.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 02:46 AM
PSN Local

Another thing to check is to see if you have any coolant in your fuel or vice versa. Sometimes the injector sleeves will get a small crack in them and, under pressure, seep into either the oil or fuel depending on exactly where the crack is. You can pull your injectors and plug the holes in the bottom of the cups, pressurize your cooling system, and look into each injector bore to see if there's any seepage. If so, time to replace the injector cups. If they have been replaced recently, double check cylinder 7. It's easy to miss getting it seated fully in the bore, and it "could" seep some coolant into the cylinder, That actually happened to me.... I hate to plug here, but the installation tools for the injector cup into the bore of the set that you have to hammer in place creates a clearance problem with the A/C box on the passenger side, and it's hard to get the cup bottomed out in the bore. The tool that Riffraff rents or sells uses the injector bolt holes to press the cup in, just tighten it to the correct torque with a wrench, no hammering no clearance issues.........
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I have 2 remote mount filters for my fuel system. I drained the fuel/water filter and absolutely nothing came out. Blackstone says there is no coolant in my oil. I suppose I could have a leaking injector cup and it burns immediately, but again, nothing in the fuel/water seperator filter. Is it possible to have a leaking injector cup, but get no coolant in the fuel filters or in the oil? I also have no oil in my coolant or diesel in my coolant. If it leaks a cup or 2 every couple thousand miles, and it isn't getting in the oil, or the fuel system.....I may just let it ride.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 04:19 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Well more likely you would end up with fuel or oil in your coolant as both the oil and fuel pressures are normally higher then the coolant pressure. My guess is you got a cold leak some where. I had friends that had a saturn that kept loosing coolant and after saturn put 1500 dollars in it it still lost coolant. I got ahold of it and pressure tested it cold and found a heater hose clamp leaking. replaced the heater hose clams and it never leaked again. Every so often you will see a leak that will only leak hot. So its best to test both ways. I have also seen the tanks on the radiators leak up high and cause similar results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

The summarize so far:
1).Blackstone Oil Sample came back negative for glycol.
2.) coolant level slowly drops and no diesel in the degas bottle
3). No coolant in my fuel/water separator filter
4). 3 separate combustion gas tests came back negative
5). Zero white smoke at startup after sitting overnight

Still slowly losing coolant......grrrrr

Can my injector cups leak and still get the ^^^above results?

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I bypassed my heater core, hooked up a pressure gauge with a ball valve I can close to seal it up before the gauge. I've pressurized it both hot, thermostat open, and completely cold. It will hold a small amount of pressure for 12 hours but drops from 15#'s to 13.4-14ish in about an hour, then slowly drops until the gauge reads about 1psi and will hold that at least 12 hours. I've looked it over top to bottom with a high powered UV light. Fan shroud in and out. Only place I haven't looked is the front of the radiator where the intercooler blocks it.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 05:57 PM
PSN Local

There was a TSB about the water pumps losing a tiny amount of coolant through the weep hole. Ford told the dealers that it was normal and to stop replacing pumps for a small amount of coolant loss. They even redesigned the replacement water pump so there's no longer a weep hole in the housing, but the housing has an internal reservoir to catch the drips and let them evaporate. Other than a slight leak around the outside of an injector cup, you might also check the block drain plugs to make sure they aren't leaking. One per side, Just above the rear housing for the oil cooler, and just above the starter motor on the block. Small threaded plug about 3/4 inch in diameter with a square drive hole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode