HELP!! 1997 OBS powerstroke sluggish acceleration and blowing black smoke. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
HELP!! 1997 OBS powerstroke sluggish acceleration and blowing black smoke.

Ok so today is The second day the truck has been running rough, it's a 1997 Ford F-350 7.3L powerstroke; The day before it started running rough It had been idling for about 5-6 hours before I got in it, drove home with it accelerating like normal and cut it off.. yesterday morning I started it back up and noticed it was lagging really bad on acceleration, and I also noticed when I was parked at a construction site that when I would slightly rev it up it would blow a little cloud of black smoke which isn't normal because it's never done that before & the truck is bone stock. well about 6 in the afternoon I got onto the highway with it seriously lagging but I managed 75mph for about 2-3 miles before it really started losing power/speed; and soon after that it completely died and would not start back up, I thought it ran out of diesel at first because it was almost empty but after I realized the fuel bowl was full; I got my friend to pull me to his house for the night; so today I was messing with it trying to get it started for about 30 minutes with no luck so my friend added ATF into the fuel bowl, held the throttle to the floor & after a few attempts it barley started & wouldn't stay running without pressing the throttle; but it went back to idling on its own after about 30 seconds... I drove everywhere today like normal but only got on the highway once for 5 miles and stayed at 70mph the whole way. The truck is still lagging, still faintly puffing black smoke while reving & i'm scared it's gonna die out on me again. And last thing is my friend that pulled me to his house also mentioned something about the dye in red diesel ruining/clogging the electronic injectors on my 7.3l but I wasn't sure how true that was.. Because my buddy forgot to tell me that when he filled my truck up after borrowing it; he filled it up with red diesel (A couple days prior to the problem beginning).. any ideas?? Please help!!

1997 Ford F-350 PSD Crewcab longbed 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Re: HELP!! 1997 OBS powerstroke sluggish acceleration and blowing black smoke.

Anyone??
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 03:18 AM
Native Texan

Garage

well never seen the red diesel cause any problems. I know plenty of farmers that run it in their farm trucks with no problems. The dye just so they can Identify trucks trying to get by with the cheaper diesel. Its not that its sub par diesel it just doesn't have road tax on it so its tempting for people t run it in vehicle just don't get caught. more then likely u had some other problem. Did u have a check engine light come on if some it more likely an sensor or control problem. Do you have a way to see data on the truck IE scanner or tuner u can barrow. the data will tell u alot so will codes if you get any.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 03:52 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage

5-6 hours is a long time to let it just sit and idle. When you were trying to start it was the tachometer moving at all when cranking? It might just be a faulty CPS.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 11:05 AM
alleged moderator

it could also be a plugged air filter, split turbo boot, or bad turbo. without trouble codes, this is all just a guessing game.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

No check engine light & I didn't get any codes that the standard OBDII scanner could pick up; what scanner would I have to use and what would the problem area most likely be? I know the injectors arnt the best in the truck, because it shakes at idle until about 1100 rpm's then smooths out.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Anybody??? Nobody does free diognostics around here and I'm very pinched on money haha

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Native Texan

Garage

where are you located at maybe there is someone close on here that can scan it. I use a usb cable and my laptop with free forscan software to talk to mine. it allows data to be read and test to be run on the obs fords.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:27 PM

Sounds like a fuel issue to me. Check the fuel pressure and change the filter.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Sbluke55- What should the fuel pressure be normally? Where do I hookup the pressure gauge??
Masakimm- What cable do you use? And it's a free program?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode