White puff/hesitation while driving. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage
White puff/hesitation while driving.

So i got stranded today and ended up towing the truck to a diesel place. They ran buzz tests and swapped out glow plugs blah blah. turns out it was a relay to the electric furl pump kit on my 97 350. The truck had a sudden and severe lack of power and was stalling out right as i was getting on the interstate.
So after all that about half way home on long distance i start to notice an occasional white puff. my truck normally dose a lot of black and grey. But as i kept driving it got worse and more frequent. the truck would instantly drop 300rpm and puff and jerk while i was in the middle of nowhere i was not gonna stop. after a while it calmed down but its still happening.
I know they replaced the driver side wiring harness re-did some of the plug line and replaced the crank sensor because the truck would occasionally die when slowing down from 70mph. The truck died again as i pulled into my driveway. I have not looked into it yet but dose anyone have any ideas on whats going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 04:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: White puff/hesitation while driving.

Perhaps they replaced the cam sensor. There is no crank sensor.

Could be any number of things. Without obtaining codes, doing diagnostic tests, and/or reading live data, you're guessing. How's the oil level, and how old is the oil?

Tell us more about your e-fuel setup as well. Does it have any provision for measuring pressure?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage

its actually a little over full but oil has like 1000 miles. The truck was not having this issue before they worked on it. As for the e fuel i dont know much about it it just looks like its pretty basic pump is always running and its just an inline right under the drivers seat.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 05:03 AM
PSN Veteran

So what led to you getting stranded?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage

In the end it was the fuel pump relay. It behaved different from the first time it happened so i did not think of it until i realized i could not hear the pump.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage

no not sure why it dose it. However it goes away after a couple weeks and it comes back any time i use a scan tool to erase the fault codes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode