Throw out and pilot bearing replace--clutch inspectio 1994 PSD - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Send a message via AIM to jdkl81
Throw out and pilot bearing replace--clutch inspectio 1994 PSD

Hey all,
I have a bad throw out bearing and plan to inspect and possibly replace the clutch while it's apart. I'll definitely be replacing the pilot bearing. I am familiar with the general procedure of pulling a manual trans out of a Ford, but after reading a few threads here and on some other truck forums, I was unsure of a few things. In your opinion, does the exhaust have to come out? What is the safest way to unbolt the shifter? I see there are two places to unbolt it and it looks like you want to take the one where the reverse lockout is not. That would be the uppermost one with the 10mm allen heads correct? I have a 2WD so it should be simpler than many. How would you approach pulling the drive shaft? I can't remember if the two parts unbolt easily. If not, I know they come out from a Ford 10.25 axle pretty easily so I'd be tempted to remove it from the rear axle and the ZF5 yoke and unbolt the carrier bearing support and remove both pieces at once. I know you can supposedly gain better access to the bellhousing to engine bolts by removing the carpet and floor pan. Is it worth the trouble? Lastly, my thinking is I should change the transmission fluid while I'm at it. I know it uses ATF or I've also heard, non detergent SAE30 is good. Any suggestions? Anyone know capacity? Thanks in advance. I'm a little rusty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Master BS'er

Re: Throw out and pilot bearing replace--clutch inspectio 1994 PSD

I'm a little confused about the driveshaft question, but it's not difficult at all, ya just unbolt it and pop it out. Some techs tape the caps on the u joint after pulling it so the caps don't fall off, but I never do, I'm just careful about it. The hardest part is finding a 12mm or 14mm 12 point if it's one of those kinds.

As for pulling the shifter, don't mess with the bolt that holds the lever on. just take the whole thing off at the plate. It'll be like four bolts or something.

Sometimes the exhaust has to drop down and sometimes it doesn't. Just depends on the truck. I am not sure if this one does or not. You'll just have to decide that as you go.

I never remove the carpet for anything, but then again, im never on my back either. If I had to do it on my back I might consider it, but I doubt the bell housings are all that hard. Usually that's the easy part. 3 foot extension and a wobbly. Without an extension is another story. I would never pull a trans without an extension....that would suck.

If it uses ATF then put ATF back in it. Don't mess around with different fluids, it's not worth it. You will gain nothing but could lose everything.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:14 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Well I have a 2wd that had a manual in it and I always took the shifter out at the top plate with the 4 small screws. I never would pull carpet to remove the trans tunnel plates the bolts are easy enough to get to. As far as the exhaust it depends on ur exhaust my 3 in down pipe blocks the pass side so I have to take it out. The fluid I have never heard of using 30 in it but I have heard of using other trans fluid. As far as fill its about 4 quarts but alot of guys will fill thru the shifter and ovèr fill it as it will some times reduce the rollover noise they are famous for. And if I was going in that far to replace parts I would not do so with out putting a clutch in. But thats just me.

Sent from my Super awesome outdated Samsung that doesn't burst into flames using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by masakimm View Post
Well I have a 2wd that had a manual in it and I always took the shifter out at the top plate with the 4 small screws. I never would pull carpet to remove the trans tunnel plates the bolts are easy enough to get to. As far as the exhaust it depends on ur exhaust my 3 in down pipe blocks the pass side so I have to take it out. The fluid I have never heard of using 30 in it but I have heard of using other trans fluid. As far as fill its about 4 quarts but alot of guys will fill thru the shifter and ovèr fill it as it will some times reduce the rollover noise they are famous for. And if I was going in that far to replace parts I would not do so with out putting a clutch in. But thats just me.

Sent from my Super awesome outdated Samsung that doesn't burst into flames using Tapatalk
Agreed, neither would I. You should have seen one I did the other day. Pulled it out and replaced the ring gear on the fly wheel and put it all back together. Clutch was almost gone, main seal puking, burn spots, bad pilot, the works. In his defense, it was a construction truck so he just wanted the starter to work.

I didn't even know the ring gear was replaceable on flywheels before that job.

Brother James

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Master BS'er

Oh yeah, one more thing. Eat your Wheaties cuz that pilot bearing will be a pain in the ass. I guarantee it. That's always the worst part.

Brother James

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 PM
PSN Veteran

ZF requires SYNTHETIC ATF in the ZF5 behind a diesel.

And +1 on doing the clutch kit, esp. if it's the original clutch and dual-mass flywheel.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Send a message via AIM to jdkl81

Hey thanks for the advice guys. I will let you all know how it goes, and what had to get out of the way.
JD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 11:49 PM
PSN Veteran

A transmission Jack is a big help. The ZF is heavy and can be awkward (especially by yourself). I used a trans jack adapter on a floor jack, which worked. I had the CC DRW up on 4 6-ton jackstands. I had to remove my 3" downpipe as was mentioned in masakim's post. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode