Trucks been down for 5 months - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Exclamation Trucks been down for 5 months

I need help I can find very little on my problem. Back in Jan I changed the mechanical fuel pump and all the lines on the fuel bowl. After that I can go out and crank the truck First time for the day cold,warm, or hot out side and let it sit for 15mins running or drive about a 1/4 of a mile and then it will slowly shutter and die but it might do it every day or every now and then. It could take 1-20 tries to start back. Iv took it to our local power stroke guy can't find anything and it won't die on him at all. Sence then changed the uvch,valve cover gaskets, one external valve cover harness, cleaned both fuel tanks, put new pickup feet in tanks, blew both lines out, alternator, and cleaned batterie terminals and ends. he has checked injectors,compression,fuel pressure, and wiring harnesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 12:39 PM
PSN Local

Re: Trucks been down for 5 months

I assume it's not throwing a code and the fuel restriction light is not activating?

Since this seems to have begun when you installed a new fuel pump and lines and the mechanic cannot detect a fuel pressure problem, I would put an electric fuel pressure gauge sending unit in place of the fuel pressure schrader valve and install the gauge head in the cockpit. If you plan to keep the gauge (like I have), you may want to control the "hammer" fuel pressure effect that the mechanical fuel pump has on gauges, such as by putting a needle valve just before the sending unit to eliminate the gauge shudder.

Such a setup would allow you to observe what's happening to the fuel pressure at all times, especially under load and not just at idle. You may have a fuel problem somewhere, such as perhaps at the tank transfer valve or even a faulty new pump, that is not showing up when testing under non-load conditions. A gauge may be able to detect that.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 01:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Why did you change the pump in the first place?
Chasing this same issue? Or is that when the issue began?
If so I would go back and check my work, look for pinched lines, something happened when you re installed the fuel bowl?
Something plugging the suction or return lines?

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:17 PM
PSN Local

Ya start with a pressure gauge

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
I assume it's not throwing a code and the fuel restriction light is not activating?

Since this seems to have begun when you installed a new fuel pump and lines and the mechanic cannot detect a fuel pressure problem, I would put an electric fuel pressure gauge sending unit in place of the fuel pressure schrader valve and install the gauge head in the cockpit. If you plan to keep the gauge (like I have), you may want to control the "hammer" fuel pressure effect that the mechanical fuel pump has on gauges, such as by putting a needle valve just before the sending unit to eliminate the gauge shudder.

Such a setup would allow you to observe what's happening to the fuel pressure at all times, especially under load and not just at idle. You may have a fuel problem somewhere, such as perhaps at the tank transfer valve or even a faulty new pump, that is not showing up when testing under non-load conditions. A gauge may be able to detect that.
would that needle valve you speak of (that eliminates guage shudder) also be known as a snubber valve?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:54 PM

Two different things but do the same job.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I have been monitoring the fuel pressure with a test gauge for a week now and it all looks good. The reason I changed the pump was it was leaking out of the weep hole and the started around the same time. The truck had a code for cps we changed it but no change. I have a good lead on it now I had been wanting it to die now while I monitored fuel pressure I got it to die and fuel pressure was good got out and also checked hpop reservoir and it was out now I'm looking into the lpop going out I'm going to monitor the lpop pressure tm when it dies and see what it dose
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:54 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd-250 View Post
would that needle valve you speak of (that eliminates guage shudder) also be known as a snubber valve?
Sorry about the slight highjack of thread but where do you guys get these valves? I have a mechanical gauge and I would like to dampen the pulsation. Thanks

96 F250 CCSB 4x4, D60, 3.55, Auto, 6.0 trans cooler 3"-4" down pipe & exhaust, not enough power
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:58 PM

Any home improvement store should have a 1/8" npt needle valve. Just needs to have a pressure rating above 75 psi.

Or a snubber from glowshift. They say they are for dodges but they work for us

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:50 PM
PSN Veteran

I went the local hardware store route, it required about 7 fittings to jump from the shrader valve through the needle valve and into my pressure gauge, required brass parts were $20+!!!
Next time I order the snubber...however I will do E fuel in the next year or so not worth getting one now

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode