Obs pre-pump mods - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Obs pre-pump mods

Hey guys, just curious what everyone is doing for fuel mods on an OBS? I see TONS of threads for the SD, but not the OBS.

I ask because I believe i'm getting air into my fuel system, something fierce. Enough to be hearing the injectors ticking from starvation (I believe).

Right now i'm running a custom E-fuel with stock SD Pump, and pre and post filters.

Thinking about the Hutch mod thats on guzzle7pt3's website, but I'm unsure if its the same for the OBS, and if its the same for the rear tank as well? Can't find the info there. I would like to do a sump pickup, but I will loose capability of the fuel selector valve, and only having an 18 gallon tank sucks... Also thinking about the 5/8" pickup tube from Strictly Diesel, but again, I either have to deal with one tank, or somehow adapt it to work with the selector valve.

If I have to loose a tank, I think I'll just remove the front tank, and run the Spectra F26E tank for the rear. 38 Gallons, and then run the 5/8" pickup tube to my SD pump. But i would like to avoid spending too much money if i can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 03:34 AM
Native Texan

Garage
Re: Obs pre-pump mods

I have a sd tank on the front of mine and my rear tank is a custom tank out of a motorhome. But what I did was install tubes down to the bottom of the tank and put a piece of Aluminum screen around the bottom to keep large pieces or globs from getting to the tubes. And plugging them so far they have worked well. I used the rear tank for a while before I started my rebuild last year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 03:38 AM
Native Texan

Garage

here is my front tank modded pickup tube.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 03:57 AM
PSN Veteran

Really, the stock selector valve is fairly restrictive anyways.
I would do the f26e with a sump. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 04:57 AM
Ya, the new guy..

38 gal tank for the win. Besides, if the valve fails, it defaults to the front. The stock front is also the most likely to develop problems taking fuel. I have an SD tank that I'm gonna try to make work in a dual setup without a switch valve... Not sure how well it'll work, but a couple 1" balance hoses between the tanks should alleviate too much trouble, provided I can get the routing right. Older semi's used to be set up like that on the farm all the time, fill from one side and sump on one side. Not more than a couple gal diff between the suction side and the static side. Def do the larger rear if nothing else, you'll thank (or hate) yourself each time you reset your trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

-02 F-250 eclb 4x4 - Second Chance

-97 F-350 cclb 4x4 - Hard Road
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

I'm leaning more towards the F26E tank, and since its a steel tank, welding on my own sump fitting on the bottom with 5/8" hose barb. Leaves me open for when i run dual SD pumps in the future...

I'll also install a real vent/rollover valve into the top of the tank, and then punch out the inner tube on the filler neck. Hopefully be able to fill up the tank on full blast again...

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 03:07 PM
PSN Veteran

AFIK, the selector valve doesn't default to anything. It's stays where it's set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 05:21 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444whitehorse View Post
if the valve fails, it defaults to the front.
No, it doesn't. It takes power to the valve to switch it from either tank to the other. With no power, it stays set to whichever tank it's set to.
79jasper likes this.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

What has everybody else done to the tank? Can anybody else chime in?

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 02:01 AM
Master BS'er

what mods could really be done pre pump? other than giving it more fuel than it can use, I think that's pretty much all there is to it bro.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode