Hello Post and turbo swap question for 1994.5 OBS - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hello Post and turbo swap question for 1994.5 OBS

Good afternoon folks, new to the nation, will be driving a 1994.5 manual 7.3 home from abroad this Sunday and monday, 130k original miles, 2WD, grandpa car and proud of it being so.

Moving to TN from the west coast and am planning some prophylactic work (not latex, advance work) for longevity and mild power/economy increase.

My initial concerns is installing an IC, not how to but being forced to change the basic agenda due to difficulty finding applicable parts in time for the move.

I have procured (in theory) a 2001 Plastic tank IC, 1999 Inlet/Outlet pipes.... but the illusive manifold (early 99) with small ports...... yep, I see them but they are demanding bookoo dolares.

Id not be opposed as near me there are several 2000-2001 trucks for parting out with viable turbos (late model), pedestals, manifolds, etc.
I know it might be a larger pita and project to complete making it more complicated but what parts are needed to swap (interchangeable) from the 94.5-97 turbo dimensions to the late 99-2002 devices?? Hybridize the top end. My intentions are to add a TS6 chip for the 50 HP gain only and its accompanying economy as I don't hot rod, do little off raid except get to a hunting spot and walk.... no lift to be deployed, still going to be a "grandpa truck" that has higher reliability, lower EGT..... longevity. Im blessed at this point to have found a sub 150k mile truck and intend to keep it for a LONG TIME.

So: what is the complement of parts to make the swap from late 99-2002 intake in full (I guess including manifold plates as well since they are 3 inch and need replacement too)??

Is there a GAIN or DEFICIT in making the swap?

Financially is it simply better to pay the big money for the early 99 manifold due to seals, gaskets, complexity, time, effort, etc....

Would the injectors form the late model 2000-2002 truck be wise to absorb on a part out from a low mile engine to compliment the conversation--- if viable??

Im a NOOB--- lots of reading and no working. Not inept, just will be my first DIESEL, don't have cush room for BAD DECISIONS, need to execute pretty flawless or not execute at all.

Intentions:

Add IC, from 1999-2002, regardless of plastic tank, no boost being added to make it susceptible to premature failure.
Add tubes and manifold as needed or directed above
Modify/swap turbo (or not as is best) for most cost effective deployment of the above Intercooler.

3-4 inch Diamond Eye DP, with a turbo back at 4 inch (I may add a flow master later if too loud. I don't need a headache driving to work every day and Im not experienced in the noise level a bigger exhaust will create.

New clutch/SM flywheel immediately.
Suspension parts as needed
New tires, 265/75r16 (I believe I have read that they will fit in stock height fenders, will downsize if Im informed otherwise. Not trying to hack or adjust around anything.
TS6 chip
Basic maintenance on engine
6637 with sock mod, flow meter deleted.
Belts and hoses if needed or potentially susceptible
Brakes
Maybe the CCV to back of truck too (as time permits)

If I have missed a critical anything somewhere that is basic and generic please smack me gently.

I understand treat it like an airplane. Feed it huge, let it breathe.

I really appreciate any wisdom that can be imparted regarding compatibility. Not worried about hoses and step up/down in diameters, clamps, etc. That will work itself out.

Thanks in advance.

Mike in So Cal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Hello Post and turbo swap question for 1994.5 OBS

Did some research here and some deep searches and figures out from other threads it's a bad deal to try to change the turbo to use the larger manifold. From frying pan and into the fire.

Exhaust manifold to start with.
Then it gets worse.
I'll simply break down and buy the correct manifold for the situation!!

I'm still all eyes for any other directives on what to check closely on a new acquisition and with the upgrades I've listed.

Thanks for an easy forum to search and a wealth of wisdom to parse.

Mike
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 02:23 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: Hello Post and turbo swap question for 1994.5 OBS

Welcome! You got some plans cut out for ya.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode