Excessive smoke while towing? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Excessive smoke while towing?

Hey guys, I'm about to tow an enclosed trailer for the first time since I put the new motor in, and I went for a test drive down the street to make sure my brake controller is functioning and all is well.

First thing I noticed, in my "Light Tow" tune, it smokes quite a bit, at least more than I thought it would/should? Under just normal acceleration it had a constant fog coming out the tailpipe, it was not by any means thick, but I could see it in my mirror.

The trailer is only maybe 4,000lbs btw, not huge or anything.

Is there a "normal smoke output" or is any smoke too much smoke? I never noticed really how much the truck smoked until I put an actual exhaust on it, and not just a downpipe lol.

So is it normal, or should I be looking at talking to Swamps to maybe tweak with the tune a little?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 12:20 AM
Native Texan

Garage
Re: Excessive smoke while towing?

I don't know it might be that the tunes just to much for that size trailer. 4000 lbs ain't muck for one of these trucks. Before I did all the work on my truck I went to Texas with a trailer and came back with a 57 Fairlane retractable that weighs over 3000 lbs and the trailer was around 2000. So well over 5000 lbs not counting tools 4 wheel and everything else I had with me and my truck barely noticed them. And when i got back found out I made the trip with my vacuum pump going bad. And with 340,000 miles and everything stock, leaking up pipes, and such. i still got 13 miles to the gallon so U might try running regular not with the tow tune.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 03:20 AM
PSN Local

I got swamps injectors with their tunes on a t6 chip and on economy tune. when you accelerate at a decent rate or put the hammer down, it will put out a big cloud. Still gets good milage with that tune but if I'm towing, i turn up to aa higher tow tune. it seams to give it more power, but doesn't put out a cloud. Turning to a higher tune might do something. Or if anything, just run stock till you are at a constant speed.
410customs likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Well I think I found out my problem. Just had a fuel pump die on me.

I was driving home from work with the same trailer, and about 3 miles away, the truck started misfiring really bad, absolutely NO power, and when i put my foot to the floor it would smoke like a damn train! Then after it idling for about a minute trying to figure it out, it eventually stalled out and now wont start back up.

I pulled over and i tried everything, swapping the CPS, no. Pulled ICP sensor plug, no, . Made sure I had fuel in the tanks, check HPOP reservoir, and its still full. Scan gauge II says its building 900 psi of ICP while cranking, and only 15% IPR duty cycle, so its not HPO system.

I only noticed it because when I turn the key the pump will kick on and its definitely whining and louder than it usually is. Must've burnt it out after 3 years of it being in the truck, using it as a transfer pump, running water through it on accident, and priming the system while its dry so many times.

Oh well, $80 to Amazon and i'll have another here on Sunday.
410customs likes this.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 06:12 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Well if weren't for bad luck some of us wouldn't have any luck at all. Man your just having a bad run of it. I got lucky on mine I got used one off ebay and it sat for a year before I even tried it and it failed from get go. So I did same thing money to amazon Woohoo for prime shipping.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 02:12 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
I got swamps injectors with their tunes on a t6 chip and on economy tune. when you accelerate at a decent rate or put the hammer down, it will put out a big cloud. Still gets good milage with that tune but if I'm towing, i turn up to aa higher tow tune. it seams to give it more power, but doesn't put out a cloud. Turning to a higher tune might do something. Or if anything, just run stock till you are at a constant speed.
I have the same and notice exactly the same
Their light tow tune and MPG tune are very smokey if you use more then the first 1/3 of the fuel feed pedal, meaning you can control the smoke with your foot. Pressing the pedal down further makes more clouds but does not exactly mean faster acceleration until the turbo catches up once you spool up the smoke goes away. So learn to use your foot to control the cloud or here in CO it may result in a instant $100 fine for "rolling coal" with my "Illegally modified" diesel truck......

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410customs View Post
So learn to use your foot to control the cloud or here in CO it may result in a instant $100 fine for "rolling coal" with my "Illegally modified" diesel truck......
Hey maybe I should suggest that to my small town they want to be a big city to the point they do stupid thing just need to convince them to give me a $5 per ticket kick back and in a week I'll never have to work again.
evans735 likes this.

Upgrades:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Because I can!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410customs View Post
I have the same and notice exactly the same
Their light tow tune and MPG tune are very smokey if you use more then the first 1/3 of the fuel feed pedal, meaning you can control the smoke with your foot. Pressing the pedal down further makes more clouds but does not exactly mean faster acceleration until the turbo catches up once you spool up the smoke goes away. So learn to use your foot to control the cloud or here in CO it may result in a instant $100 fine for "rolling coal" with my "Illegally modified" diesel truck......
I don't think we have anything for "rolling coal" for fines. My truck is very very smokey and puts out some just normal driving slow. I've had plenty of cops behind me and been pulled over by quite a few of those too and none of them have ever said a thing about it being smokey, but we are also a non emissions state which helps I'm sure

97 F350 cclb
7.3 5spd

95 f350 rclb 7.3

02 f350 ccsb 7.3
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Yeah here in California, smoking is a big deal. I think the fine is much more than $100...

I just thank god my 96 is Smog Exempt. California cut off year is 1998.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Replaced the pump, started driving home and it did the same thing, but stalled more abruptly. Well where i was driving was a little hilly, and i think the pump sucked some air (it had about 1/8 of a tank) and couldn't push the air out of the system.

So i had AAA bring me a few gallons of fuel, didn't help. Would just crank and crank. Till i finally hit the bleeder screw on the FPR. I slowly blead (sp?) out the air until only fuel came out the schrader valve. I heard the pump get quieter, and then the truck fired up INSTANTLY. Drove it to the first gas station, and filled up with 25 gallons of fuel. Not one hicup the rest of the drive home.

So i think the fuel pickup screen has fallen off, as it starved of fuel at 1/8 tank, in both tanks. Then when i went to fill up, it only took 25 gallons between both tanks, absolutely full to the top, even the filler neck. Now since they are 18 gallon tanks each, that means there was roughly 4.5 gallons of fuel left in each.

Now i wonder if my original fuel pump was actually bad. Any way to bench test it or something?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode