1996 F-250 Powerstoke Crank no start. Please HELP!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Patrick Feeley
  • 1 Post By Haztanker
  • 2 Post By Patrick Feeley
  • 1 Post By TwistedPowerstroke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

1996 F-250 Powerstoke Crank no start. Please HELP!!

So let here's where I started truck was for sale by my neighbor, paid 800 for it. He said it needed two new batteries and a glow plug relay. So here's what I did I got two new batteries/glow plug relay/oil & oil filter changed/Fuel filter changed/ camshaft position sensor changed, still no start. Gave up and took it to a shop to get diagnosed(they didn't figure it out either, but it's not a diesel shop either). Their notes are as follows

"Fuel pressure at 40psi, passes injector buzz test, no codes on buzz. Scanner PPM 170 while cranking, Injector control PSI on scanner 147 at first then went to 2464. Injector Pressure reg%50 on scanner. 10 Ohms resistance from ECM wire through IRP solenoid. Manually grounded wire still no start. Checked:Fuel heater fuse, it blows, High pressure oil pump, wiring to injector pressure reg. No smoke on cranking means no fuel to injectors."

So I tried to replicate the blown fuse to see if it was the fuel heater and I didn't get the fuse to blow. My downfall here is I really don't know much about diesels so any help would be great and please dumb it down for me. The truck is a 1996 Ford F-250 7.3 PSD stick shift, single cab long bed.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 04:30 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 1996 F-250 Powerstoke Crank no start. Please HELP!!

I would disconnect the fuel heater (driver's side of the fuel filter bowl about halfway down, funky looking spade connector that pulls off straight out from the bowl). Does the Wait-to-Start light come on? Cheers!
Haztanker likes this.

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I will give it a try as it is now I have always seen the WTS come on.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 01:34 PM
PSN Local

Just a passing thought, check the oil in the HPOP tank on the front of the engine, what you describe sounds like maybe the HPOP may not be able to pump up the injectors, look for a flush plug on the driver side of the tank, it comes out with an allen key, the oil needs to be at or near the top, if it's not fill it up (same oil as crankcase), make sure you put the plug back in then try to start it.
vtpittsburg likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I opened it up and it was empty, I filled it as advised, replaced the plug, and cranked it, no luck. I opened it back up and it was down to half. I checked the dipstick for the oil and it is right at full I don't know if it is a connected system so I was going to add any more.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 03:58 AM
PSN Veteran

If the HPOP reservoir is draining down, you can refill it (as you did). If it keeps draining, it goes to the crankcase (they are a connected system) and you can overfill the crankcase. Next would be to figure out why its draining. Does the oil pressure gauge on the dash move? It's really a glorified idiot light (doesn't really show the actual pressure since the sender is only a switch). Cheers!
Haztanker and vtpittsburg like this.

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 03:24 PM
PSN Local

Sounds like a (lack of oil) HPO issue, just guessing here but if your HPOP tank drained down quickly as you indicated due to trying to start the engine it sounds to me like there was/is an issue with the oil getting back to the tank, it may be worth topping the tank off again to see if you're able to get a "hit" so far as startup, while trying to start look for low oil pressure in the dash meter, if the engine oil pump is weak it may be having a problem filling the tank, although I have never changed an oil pump on a 7.3 myself they are located on the front of the engine and are accessible by removing the crankshaft balancer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1005dp_16+diesel_power+2002_ford_f250_power_stroke_diesel_rebuild+oil_pump.jpg (21.6 KB, 5 views)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 10:54 PM
PSN Newb

I've heard of oil pick up tubes cracking and sucking air, so you might overkill it with oil, or jack up the rear of the truck and try again to crank it.
vtpittsburg likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you all for the advice I will be out of town till next week so I will have to wait till then, then I will reply back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode