5th gear Jerk - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

5th gear Jerk

1996 F-350 5 speed

Haven't had this truck for a very long time. But for the last 2 days when I am driving in 5th gear on Highway I am getting a random jerk. It doesn't happen very often. Today it happend and jerked once, then a few min later it jerked a couple of times in a row. Just wondering if any of yall may have any ideas what would be causing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 03:05 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 5th gear Jerk

Any modifications to the truck like a chip? About the only thing I can think of is maybe a Cam Position Sensor (CPS) heading south. The factory units are only about $20-$25 (only kind to get!). Don't know why it would only happen in 5th, but maybe it's just noticeable there. If it doesn't solve the problem, you have a spare for the glovebox (always a good thing). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 03:14 AM
Native Texan

Garage

I had a CPS from o'rielys brand new that when I set cruise it would jerk\misfire but only when cruise set. Always use a ford CPS Its not worth the head ache that comes from it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

installed a new cps in truck last night. i got the cps at auto zone. now istead of a real big jerk everyonce in a while, there is alot of small jerks more often in each of the gears
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 06:46 PM
Native Texan

Garage

take the auto zone cps back and get a ford cps the parts house cps are junk and cause as many problems and some are bad out of box like I said I had an oriely one that missed in cruise control only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode