Coolant Loss After Waterpump - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Coolant Loss After Waterpump

I just replaced my old Waterpump this past week. I have only driven about 40 miles total since replacing the pump. Every morning the water level in the expansion tank has dropped 1/2". I fill it exactly between the 2 lines on the cold fill mark, in the morning it's back to the lower of the 2 lines. Add a cup of distilled water and its back to the middle. Drive it 5-10 miles....back to the lower line the next morning. Just getting the air out? I've looked and looked for a leak with no success.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Master BS'er

Re: Coolant Loss After Waterpump

Maybe. The air should be out by now so I would tend to doubt that, but we'll see I guess. All you can do is either look for a leak, or keep doing what your doing. If it is a little air then it should stop dropping vrey soon. Make sure you got the heater turned on when you drive it.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:16 PM
PSN Local

Most likely.. just air pockets... if you didn't use something like an airlift device, to draw a vacuum on the cooling system to fill it. Should clear up within a couple hot and cold cycles.

Sean
2005 F250 Harley CC SB Banks IQ, 4" Exhaust, Banks Techi Cooler with High Ram, Cold Air Intake, Cat Delete,EGR Delete,Coolant Filter,Amsoil Oil Filter Bypass, PHP ECM Rollback, PHP FICM Tuner, WW2,Rancho 9000XL shocks. Firestone Air Springs w/Daystar Cradles. 224K

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I just bypassed the heater core to see if it might be that. I just fired it up after sitting all night with the heater plugged in. Not a whisp of white smoke at startup. I'm hoping that would suggest the injector cups aren't leaking. I just replaced the lower HPOP reservoir gasket and topped it off with new oil. My dipstick shows about 1/16" above the full hash marks. Not sure if I just overfilled it a hair or water is drining into the oil. I have to drive it 65 miles today so I'll have a better idea of what's going on hopefully. What's the best system pressure check tool for these trucks?

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:02 PM
PSN Local

Local auto parts store might have your basic pressure tester to check for leaks..Some store lend tools at no cost.
A inline pressure guage will help you identify pressure in the system above 16PSI.. but i am guessing you dont see any puking around the rad cap on degas bottle?

Sean
2005 F250 Harley CC SB Banks IQ, 4" Exhaust, Banks Techi Cooler with High Ram, Cold Air Intake, Cat Delete,EGR Delete,Coolant Filter,Amsoil Oil Filter Bypass, PHP ECM Rollback, PHP FICM Tuner, WW2,Rancho 9000XL shocks. Firestone Air Springs w/Daystar Cradles. 224K
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Not even a drop?

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Project Shamu

After installing my motor I had to top it off for about a week after the first fill. If it's not leaking or going to the oil, it should just be burping air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I could hear my radiator cap hissing today after a long drive. I bought a new cap at the dealership. The level was in the correct place this morning.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:13 PM
Project Shamu

Good to hear, and the radiator cap is important, glad to hear you replaced it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode