LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
1994.5 Crank No Start-

1994.5 -stock truck no modifications
F350
--Originally parked due to worn synchros in transmission--

Current situation- Engine will crank over but will not start-no smoke-Wait to start light is working

Vehicle sat for several years.(6+) Rats chewed on upper wiring harness damaging (high power harness top of engine) Inspection of rest of harness showed no damage

Hooked snap on red brick got code of p1283 also did buzz test and passed .
Removed harness from truck repaired and soldiered all connections-checked continuity and ohmed out harness and IPR and all appeared to pass. Also took ipr apart and put new seals in then reinstalled harness & IPR on truck. IPR-connector did look bad (rubber was gummy from oil saturation)at that time but did not replace pig tail at that time. I attempted to do all test on fords p1283 code sheet but did not have break out box and was some what skeptical of results due to meter and needing three hands for wiring work (results point at bad ecm)

Truck would not start still at this point.

Due to age and time truck sat (also so i could clean valley) replaced fuel pump and all rubber lines and hose clamps. Removed all fuel in tanks using suction at main line in engine bay. Re-o-ringed fuel bowl and replaced filter added 5 gallons fresh fuel to tank as well as top off filter. Double check to ensure selector switch was on correct tank. installed new glow plug relay as well replaced cam sensor as well. Truck Still Crank no start condition.

Before replacing IPR applied 12 volt straight to IPR Still crank No start. Replaced IPR and IPR pigtail on harness (connections soldiered).

Truck Still in crank no start condition. Have tried starting with ICP connected and disconnected no change.

Also noted seemed HPOP reservoir was low filled it with oil. Still crank no start. At this time due to low oil in reservoir removed oil sending unit on top of HPOP installed mechanical gauge no pressure on crank attempt.
Even after cranking oil was still in HPOP reservoir level seemed unchanged. (assumption LPOP failure & Possible HPOP malfuction or due to not firing leaving reservoir still full.

Next thing to check-inspect for possible cracked tube on LPOP pickup-(over fill crank case with oil jack up rear) repeat crank test

Also planing on testing pressure on HPOP (just ordered parts for pressure tester)
Also just purchased 104 break out box -rerun p1283 code test and confirm bad ecm

Red Brick stats

Voltage -KOEO-12.5
IPR-KOEO-not cranking resting reading 15%
ICP-resting KOEO- .18
IPR Key On Cranking- 55%
Cranking RPM 160

So is their any thing I may have forgotten....? any added suggestion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:32 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 1994.5 Crank No Start-

What is icp while cranking?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:46 AM
PSN Veteran

From my own experience with my 94 and a P1283 code (if you cleared it and are still getting it), mine turned out to be a bad PCM (PCM not providing the ground to power the IPR circuit). I ran the entire sequence of pinpoint tests for that code and all tests were OK so the last step is replace PCM. Replacement PCM from RockAuto for $115 (plus exchange) and all was good. Since my 94 BEG8 PCM had already been reflashed to a later ALF series code by the dealer, I just looked for the same thing. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

79Jasper I do not know I will have to retest it next chance I get and post that I forget to write it down when i was testing. Patrick thanks for the info appreciate it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Sorry for how long it took to get the readings do not get alot of time for my own projects lol
ICP readings are as follows

At rest key on-.18-.19

Cranking engine (no start)- at first it went up to .22 on first try second try it went up to .44 and that is were it stayed

unplugged icp reading .01
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:04 AM
PSN Veteran

I don't have the voltage/psi chart on hand, so I don't know what those would be in psi. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Alright got my 104 pin break out box in today. So this week end I will retest the harness and check LPOP from the connection down near the oil filter. Will post results. Hopefully next Thursday I can make it to the local hose and equipment shop to get the line made for my new pressure tester im building to test the HPOP. So hopefully soon I will have a full picture of what is going on. I hope my pick up tube is not damaged. Right now looks like ECM failure, Possible LPOP failure.

The I have topped off the HPOP reservoir and still get nothing depending on ecm results and pressure test we shall see what is up there might have a trifecta of parts to fix lol. Oh well always said letting a vehicle sit is the worst thing in the world. Thanks for the help gentlemen.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Aliright-

After testing for oil pressure from the bottom of the truck and top I have concluded that LPOP is not building up pressure. Due to age of truck and mileage my next step is to replace the LPOP . I will likely do pick up tube test as well but that will have to wait.

Regarding - redoing the ipr break out box test - I have come to a conclusion that might be wrong but from what I am seeing on my end does not appear to be I will describe as follows.

did the break out test for code p 1283 did not get any readings on the pin as described. But wires were checking fine and no breaks in the wire good continuity etc. So being that this is a 94.5 truck I pulled up Alldata and went back to what was the testing procedure for the original eec-v test with a ipr fault in this condition
now this is some what speculative on my part the trucks computer has been flashed at some point to a later setting i believe it is 96 or 97 flash (F7TF -sb) according to my red brick. So since the wiring and every thing is stock 94.5 i wondered if their might be a difference in test for the 94.5 vs 95 and later which was what i had been using. After pulling up the code list for 94.5 the closest code I could come to on the list to match with the p1283 (ipr circuit check) was code 546 ipr circuit check (i will try and include the pictures of this material) which it did have a different testing method and after testing the results matched in line with the methods and now confirm likely dead PCM.

Now that being said in my brain i would have thought test procedure for the later would have been sufficient for this situation but I am of the mind that it was not and the actual 94.5 method was needed. Now granted I could be wrong but as it was a first year so to speak who knows in my book there seems to always be screwy differences with first runs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1994andhalfIPRtest.jpg (19.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1994inhalfwiring.jpg (13.6 KB, 10 views)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:17 AM
PSN Veteran

No difference in the IPR wiring for a 94 and later. The P1283 pinpoint tests for the later ones will work just fine. I did it on my 94 FWIW. I did not use a breakout box since it really isn't needed (but does make it easier) since the PCM is left disconnected during the tests. I just went from the associated PCM connector pins to the appropriate other pins. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode