#8 injector not working - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrdonicht

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

#8 injector not working

so I was stuck in construction traffic the other day and all was well when the line started to move I noticed that the truck was a little rough, as I applied the throttle it became more so. I pulled over and noticed that the cab was shaking pretty bad and got the truck home promptly. I performed a buzz test and noticed that the #8 injector was not buzzing, so I began to tear the valve cover off and remove the gasket but didn't notice any issues with the wiring going into the injector. with the cover off I performed another buzz test and the same result, so fearing the worst I swapped the 8 & 6 power connectors and the issue followed to #6. so I disconnected the IDM and ohm'd the connector back to the IDM harness, all of the injector connectors seemed to be good. so I pulled the IDM thinking this could be one of those rare occasions that it could be bad and took it to a friends house and put it on his truck and the truck ran fine. last night I was looking at the connector to the valve cover on #6 & 8 and noticed that the glow plug wire was damaged going into the valve cover gasket so I replaced the connector with a new one retested and same result. at this point, I am pretty frustrated and have exhausted all of my ideas and figured I would reach out to see if any of you had a similar experience or any additional ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:43 PM
PSN intsigator

Re: #8 injector not working

I would say it is your valve cover gasket/uvc harness. They are known for melting on the glowplug contacts. I would rewire them to have the single SD connector. It has bigger glowplug contacts and haven't had the problem of melting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:27 PM
PSN Veteran

yes and when the glowplug wire is melted it is real easy for it to arc into the circuit next to it, which in your case could the injector power control to solenoid #8

I replaced the UVCH on my 97, the first time through I found all of the glowplug leads melted corroded, then I found corrosion about 3" up the wires and replaced everything with new pigtails and gaskets from Dorman
Whooops!

Barely lasted 2 months the dorman stuff already had issues. So I finally converted to Superduty wiring pigtails from Alliant, under valve cover gaskets and harness from International and now I am trouble free with solid connections. The superduty connectors are far superior to OBS

Here's the wiring chart in case you decide to upgrade this way:

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

That looks like an awesome upgrade to a flawed system, that will have to be put on the list of future upgrades. I did look at the connector wiring and the valve cover gasket is new before it was even started I executed a buzz test to verify the operation of my work and before it was even cranked still didn't work on #8. the one thing I didn't do was ohm the glow plugs but I ohm'd out the injectors and they all were the same to the connector that would tell me that the resistance is good. correct me if I am wrong. I have had the UVCH short out and melt down before and it is the exact thing that both of you are telling me and it is the same thing that seems to be happening now but I have no evidence. I have gone back through on what you have suggested and nothing shows up. if you have any other info you can think of please share, I have exhausted my thoughts on this issue.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:09 PM
PSN Local

Flip valve cover gaskets see if it travels to the other side?
410customs likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

first of all thanks for all the suggestions it really helped me to identify the root issue. I got to watching videos on youtube and found one that helped me to find the problem
. I took the solenoid off of the injector without removing it from the engine, because that is what I was trying to avoid, and checked the clearance on the upper poppet plate and it was much too big of a gap. so I tried tightening it and it just spun, so I grabbed it and pulled it out and the bolt was broken. after extracting the bolt from the poppet and putting it all back together with a new bolt problem solved. thanks for your help I just hope this can help someone else in the future.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 12:57 AM
PSN Local

I dont understand your first post said"so fearing the worst I swapped the 8 & 6 power connectors and the issue followed to #6.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:22 PM
PSN Veteran

Wow way to find the issue! Nice work
I would not buy an injector from the two people in that video if my life depended on it, but there is some good info in that video too!

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode