The Most Complete Oil Information - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

The Most Complete Oil Information

I found this information and Iv read through it. The person who wrote it seems to be unbiased. It is mainly oil information for high performance engines, but there is diesel information in there. If you want to learn the truth about oil and the best oils for protection, then read this.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
edwester03 likes this.

That OBS Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:14 PM
PSN Newb

Re: The Most Complete Oil Information

Great post. Solid read with more information than I ever thought I wanted to know about oil

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:19 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

sub'd!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Its amazing how advertising and misunderstanding leads people to assume some products are great. Because if a product doesn't do any harm it can be seen a doing what it is advertised or improved. I will never add zinc to anything after reading this.

That OBS Life
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:45 PM
PSN Veteran

I clicked on it say "ah, I'll just glance at it to see what's good!" An hour later, that's a fantastic study! Good read!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-2008 Job #3 F250 CCSB 4x4
-Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
-Peak Fleet Charge Purple Coolant
-SCT X4 Babysitter
-17" XD Addicts
-285 General Grabber AT2's
-Power Service White in the Tank
-Moog Tie Rods and Drag Arm
-Drilled and Slotted Rotors
-GearBoxZ DPF-R 4.0
-Flo-Pro DOC/DPF delete
-MPD CCV Kit
-Injen Evo CAI
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

And it continues to get undated. I'm not sure how often it gets updated, but it does happen.

That OBS Life
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:05 AM
Project Shamu

Now on the topic of oils, what is everybody running for oil? And does anybody plan on switching over after reading this blog?

Im running Rotella T and dont plan on changing, seems they are all withing 4,000 psi or so of each other, unless you buy the ridiculously expensive $13 a quart RedLine that I probably dont need.

I get my Rotella T for less than $10 a gallon with my account at Napa...

If i drove the truck 350,000 miles (which is what i got out of my last motor), and changed the oil every 3,000 miles (which I could probably take much longer, depending on getting an analysis done) with Rotella T, I would spend $4640 on oil in its entire life. Now if I drove the truck the exact same miles, and changed it every 10,000 miles (which rarely people go longer than 10,000 miles with oil, even when the analysis says they can) with RedLine (or schaeffers, or amsoil whatever), at $13 a quart, thats $7280. I save $2640 using Rotella, and that can go towards buying a new long block when it ####s out at 350,000 miles, or if it makes it even longer? And if I take the Rotella oil at longer intervals than 3,000 miles, like say 5,000 miles, then i only spend $2800 on oil! That saves me $4480 compared to the RedLine, and thats almost enough for a complete remaned short block with a warranty!

Im sure theres way more to it than that, but thats the first thing that pops into my head...

1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I changed to T6 and was surprised that is was lower quality then the T4. I chose T6 so I would have easier starting up here in Maine. But I'm contemplating switching to Moble 1 5w-40. Amazon sells T6 for $7.5 per quart and moble 1 for $9.30 per quart. I only drive about 15,000mi per year. So about two oil changes a year, at 17quarts per change. 34quarts x $1.8 = $62 per year extra. Not to bad to have a better quality synthetic.

That OBS Life
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:05 PM
BigMo

I se the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel oil, believe its 5w40....but now im wondering if i shud change after it ranked kinda low. I want to protect my truck (08 F450 w 6.4) for the long haul...not sure what i would change to. I go approx. 5k between changes, and tow w it occasionally

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BigMo
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Wow, gotta be the most god-awfully difficult to read badly formatted pages on the whole Internet. Why does the guy feel compelled
to squeeze everything into a narrow
little column, about 1/3 the width of
the typical modern monitor?
I think I wore out the scroll wheel on my mouse trying to read it...

Content-wise, it's VERY gasser-biased. Most of the talk about diesel oils refers to using thm in gassers. And it's by no means "complete". He's basically measuring ONE thing - how well they hold up at high temperature, and specifically at higher temperatures than we typically see (I've never seen my EOT hit 230F, anyway). Nothing about how well they flow at extreme cold, how well they hold up at X miles of use, etc. Doesn't breathe a word about hydraulically-injected engines.

He did NOT test Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel oil, BTW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode