Rust problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Rust problem

Ok so when I bought my truck there was a little spot of rust right above the trim on the rear fender on the passenger side besides that clean as can be. Got it fixed twice, just had it grinder down and repainted but it came back each time, today I took the trim off and found all of it!!!! Also had it staring on the other side thinking it's just a little spot and Then i took the trim off and it was worse than I thought. Question is can this be cut out and repaired or is to late, and I'm better off just selling my truck at this point. Here are some images of it below

Passenger rear side:

Drivers rear side:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:06 PM
alleged moderator

Re: Rust problem

that really ain't that bad compared to a lot i have seen.
you have three options.
#1: cut out the bad and replace with patch panels.
#2: replace the bed skins.
#3: replace the whole bed with a clean southern bed.
of these options, #3 is usually the cheapest.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 12:35 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian123 View Post
Ok so when I bought my truck there was a little spot of rust right above the trim on the rear fender on the passenger side besides that clean as can be. Got it fixed twice, just had it grinder down and repainted but it came back each time, today I took the trim off and found all of it!!!! Also had it staring on the other side thinking it's just a little spot and Then i took the trim off and it was worse than I thought. Question is can this be cut out and repaired or is to late, and I'm better off just selling my truck at this point. Here are some images of it below

Passenger rear side:

Drivers rear side:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I bought a pair of Bushwacker cut out fender flares and I live in the rust belt. I did not like how far they stuck out so I trimmed them down before installing them. Used a 4 inch grinder with a cut out wheel. All rust was gone. Came out great and 5 years later still looked great

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Cut it all out, once you see it on the surface you can plan to lose alot of metal in that area. Once you start chipping away it just keeps going deeper. However you will find bare metal soon enough, knock ALL of the rust off then treat the metal with rust stopper like Chassis saver. Now you can cover the damage with a flare and forget about it

OR

Find another bed

OR

Flatbed that sucker

OR

Sell truck to me cheap and I will do it
96 = built in 95 = 22 years old, its going to start showing its age eventually!

DO NOT SELL OBS just because of some cosmetic stuff....its what's underneath that really counts

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 12:30 AM
PSN Veteran

That is extremely minor. Yes, it has to be cut out and the good metal treated so it doesn't continue, as stated above. As for the "restorative" options, one's been overlooked - flares. Look up Bushwacker Street Flares. VERY low profile, not meant to make your truck look like a mudder.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:09 PM
PSN Newb

You can clean it up grind it ECT. The once you bare metal you spray it with ospho. It will stop the rust and turn what's left to primer. Prime the rest of the area and repaint.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:21 PM
PSN Veteran

I just installed stock Ford flares from an 08 onto a 99 and it hid all the wheel well rust nicely! First I removed the crappy chrome stick on flares that were on there that likely caused the rust to begin with. Then I knocked the big pieces off with a screwdriver. Next a sanding disc/flapper wheel on a grinder was used with 120 grit to take the remaining rust off and down to bare metal. I also used the flapper wheel to feather the edges of the stock paint down to the bare metal. Then I cleaned the fenders and the bare metal, hit with a rust stopping primer and flat white krylon paint (my fenders are white)
I found some black flares on Craigslist from a 2008, the guy updated his truck to bushwhacker style pocket flares so I scored for $40!
The 08 flares fit the 99 truck bed and front fenders perfectly, just had to cut the front ones off at the bumper...It literally took me an hour per fender, the drivers side ended with a 3" diameter rust hole right through it, the flare covered the entire area. I'm happy truck looks great

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 07:34 AM
PSN Veteran

When mine go I'm gonna install fibre glass bed sides that are flared and Linex the underside of the glass to make it stronger.

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:11 PM
PSN Veteran

I didn't know they offered fiberglass bed skins for the OBS.............

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode