Chasing idle issue - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Chasing idle issue

I've been trying to chase down a idle issue for a good while now. Randomly at idle the truck will bounce and/or the idle will jump 100-150 rpms get to the next light and it won't do it it is really random. Today I just so happened to have AE up and at a light it started acting up icp pressure was around 580 with ipr duty cycle at 12% truck was not warmed up yet. The thing is I noticed the duty cycle was jumping up .5-1%. Is this normal? When my truck is fully warmed up it holds a perfectly steady duty cycle. Not sure if this would be a icp or ipr issue or if I need to look else where.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Chasing idle issue

Did some poking around today with a multi meter thinking maybe electrical issue. Should both batteries read the same voltage with the truck running and with the truck off? With it running my driver side battery barley gets 13 volts with the truck off it is mid 11s. While the passenger side is outing out a little over 14 running and around 12 off.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 01:04 AM
PSN Veteran

LOAD test the batteries.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:03 AM
PSN Veteran

Along with the load test you should have the same voltage at both batteries since they are wired in parallel. A difference is voltage when running points to bad cables.

I doubt that it has anything to do with your idle problem.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Going to go through and clean all connections today. Really wish I could find the idle issue the truck was at a shop for over a month and they only got it to act up once even then couldn't track down the cause.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 01:02 PM
PSN Veteran

Check your ICP and see if it is full of oil, the wiring pigtail may also be full of oil

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I unplugged the icp this morning bone dry I drove with it unplugged couldn't tell if it did much of a difference audibly I could tell the truck ran different and I usually have a shutter between 1500 and 2000 rpms when it is cold that wasn't there. Other than that unplugging it didn't do much else besides burn out my ses light haha. The problem is so intermittent it's hard to know when it's going to do it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Any other signs of a failing icp other than oil in the plug?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 09:06 PM
PSN Veteran

Not saying this is the problem as I don't see how it relates ICP. But it has aided in smoothing out idle in some instances. That's to clean the fuel return stainless screen in the fuel regulator on driver's side of the fuel filter canister. Q-tips and a small mirror are needed, drain a little fuel out, pull the fuel filter. Using mirror and Q-tips inspect and clean the screen in the small hole about a 1/3 way down the driver's side of the fuel filter canister. You should get a bunch of blackish material off the screen using Diesel dipped Q-tips, once clean you should clearly see the shiny Stainless screen at the back end of the hole. Reinstall filter fire up and enjoy a smoother idle, if it was dirty. Try it and see if it makes a difference.

j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I did that a few months ago when I put a new filter in but I'll give it another go. I'm up for anything right now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode