Sudden rough idle loss of power - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage
Sudden rough idle loss of power

So i tried to google this first and all i can find is people with my issue saying yeah i have the same issue tying to figure it out.
Same day i refueled not sure if it has anything to do with my issue. My 97 started to idle rough just up and down 1 or 200rpm. and then today it also shudders the truck on acceleration sounds terrible then somewhat levels out with higher rpms, loss of power lots of grey smoke and black. The truck came with a cheap dp tuner i plan on removing and has been getting about 12mpg at best. I have not had a diesel before and have owned this one a few months. The fuel filter is new and i changed the oil. From my last post the general though was my engine is from a 99-03. This truck has also been a bear to start if it has not been plugged in.
Being new to diesel and from what other people think im assuming my injectors are bad and the glow plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:03 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Sudden rough idle loss of power

Is the check engine light on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Pull the tuner first and see what happens. Also the wiring that goes through the valve cover gaskets will also go bad over time and you'll end up with burnt and shorted pins in them. You can unplug them and see what the pins look like. There are 2 on each valve cover gasket.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:12 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
Pull the tuner first and see what happens. Also the wiring that goes through the valve cover gaskets will also go bad over time and you'll end up with burnt and shorted pins in them. You can unplug them and see what the pins look like. There are 2 on each valve cover gasket.

Yeah that's what happened to mine but the check engine light was on and didn't have enough power to go over 40mph the ground wire that wraps around the wires ate into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage

There is no engine light on. I will look into the wiring harness.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 04:00 AM
new to the internet

what kind of smoke is more common? black or grey/white? sounds like a air-fuel mixture problem for sure, but it could be secondary to an electrical problem. how many times do you have to turn over before it will start?

id check the GP relay first then feel each manifold for a cold spot. then check the wires from there.

1996 F350 7.3
2004 F250 6.0
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage

untill its warm its grey unless your accelerating then its all black. if its plugged in for a while it starts right up if not its a lot.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage

just for curiosity's sake i used an inferred thermometer on the exhaust and the number one cylinder was much colder.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 03:18 PM
PSN Newb

Garage

how many miles on the truck? if previous owner didn't maintenance it well, you could have a stiction issue. That would explain the change in exhaust color once warm

1995 F-250 single cab. 4"lift and level. D60 Swap. 3"mbrp down pipe to 4"muffler exhaust. S&B intake. Swamps tuned T6. Baby Swamps Injectors. Swamps HVHF IDM. Adrenaline HPOP. 1.0 AR Exhaust, Wicked Wheel, e99 spider w/ Superduty Intercooler. Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter. Amsoil Secondary Oil Filter. Mickey T 16x9 and 35 MT
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:51 PM
new to the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavis90 View Post
i used an inferred thermometer..and the number one cylinder was much colder.
looks like youve got the geography down, i can agree with previous owner neglect but sudden onset is interesting. whats the weather like or what part of Utah are in? having to plug your truck in if its not that cold might be the plugs but the black smoke sounds more injector related.

1996 F350 7.3
2004 F250 6.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in