1997 f450 SD crank no start. Yes another one - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

1997 f450 SD crank no start. Yes another one

Okay let me start off by saying I have been reading on this forum for about two weeks before I joined to try and get help. I see many similar problems but nothing quite the same as mine. Also thank you in advance for the help and baring with me while I try to get you as much I for without writing you a novel.

97 f450 7.3 auto 2wd
NO TACH MOVEMENT NO WTS LIGHT
The company I work for is selling this truck. Guy is coming to look at truck for 3000. Send me , a diesel mechanic for the company, out front to get the truck off the lawn and into shop because night shift couldn't get it running after two new battery's were installed.

I go out just get a crank no start. I find fuse 22 bad every time I turn key on. ( at this point I haven't done to much reading up online so I was a noobie here) I add new fuses find same problem. I Read about fuel bowl heater so I unplug that still nothing. The boss tells me forget it we will look another day.

A week later that day comes I pull truck Into shop with forklift and look at it. First thing I notice is new batteries are weak already. And the gpr is super hot. It's 80 here so I just disconnect it. I also notice that the fuses are. O longer blowing anymore. The thing here is I don't remember which came first. Because the gpr was still very hot with the new fuses not blowing so I'm not seeing a link to the two.

I order a napa cps ( I know that's a problem) and find nothing. still not tach or wts I unplug the ips and try nothing. Pretty much everything you can read up on these I tried and couldn't get anything. I have 60psi and fuel scraper valve. I also had a clogged screen at the fpr but cleaned that. Hpor is full and pressure at ips senosr with gauge was 2000+.

Even longer story short I blew starter from the week I worked on this thing trying to get it going so I bought the truck for 1000 bucks from work and am dead set on it being a cps problem cause the ####ty napa. I'll throw sensor in from ford and sell this thing and make money. So I buy starter and cps from international and go to work and try to start again. NOTHING. just cranks. Still not tach not wts

I can't get my two scanners to connect to the truck. They aren't a high quality snap on or ae so idk if that's why or is it's a pcm issue.

At this point I'm looking more closer to idm or pcm problem. I have a buddy that will bring me his idm hopefully today so I can try that but would idm make me have no tach signal. I'm running out of ideas here.

Another thing. Does the diode fuse in the under hood fuse panel have anything to do with this?

Sorry for the long story here just trying to help you guys help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 1997 f450 SD crank no start. Yes another one

the diode in the fuse box controls flow, meaning it will blow if voltage tries to flow the wrong direction
If it looks good when you hold it up to a light or has continuity between the posts = good

replace/check test PCM relay
sounds like the PCM is not getting power from the ignition switch
this circuit (I believe) goes through fuse 22 and through a ECM/PCM relay
you changed the fuse now test things at the relay

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I didn't replace them but I swapped the horn with all the other relays. I'll go over them again tho thank you

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:20 PM
PSN Veteran

Does the truck continue to blow fuse #22 after disconnecting the fuel heater?

Don't even bother cranking the starter until you get a WTS light.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No after that first day the fuses no longer blow. Every fuse is good and no wts no tach movement
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Will you get a wts light with gpr unhooked?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:19 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatemoresonnn View Post
Will you get a wts light with gpr unhooked?
Yes. The WTS is programmed and lit by the PCM, regardless of the status of the GPR.

I wouldn't expect the diode to blow from reverse current applied to it. It just wouldn't complete the circuit. That's what diodes do; allow current in one direction but not the other (think - check valve / heart valve). It's opaque, so you won't see anything through it. It should show continuity in one direction (based on meter probes) and "open" (no continuity) in the opposite direction (reversing the meter probes).

Ignition switch is not out of the realm of possibility. Where you disconnected the fuel heater, put a voltmeter on that terminal, other probe to ground, and see if you get voltage with the key in the RUN position. That would tell you if the ignition switch is working right.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:24 PM
PSN Veteran

check for power at pcm with key on this verifies fuse and relay are working

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Okay so I'll grab new relays I guess and go from there. If the relays are good are we leaning more towards a pcm? Can we elimate idm because of the no wts? Is it possible the bulb is burnt out? I guess I take the dash apart and make sure it's not a bulb
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Madpogue and 410, thank you I will try and report back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode