OBS "cut" headlight reflector questions, really need some input please. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cummins Junkie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2017, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

OBS "cut" headlight reflector questions, really need some input please.

Hi everyone, my trusty 1997 CC needed a new set of front lights, they were badly oxidized making it tough to see at night. A while back I bought a set of front lights that were just like the originals but the headlight reflectors were European "cut" type. Last week I took the front of the truck apart to install the new lights, it was near dark when I finished so I didn't notice the headlight reflectors lacked what appear to be a headlight bulb output diffuser the stock reflectors use. At first I though it must be the bulbs are different (they came installed with the light assembly) having a different output array, finally turning on the lights in the dark even though poorly aimed the pattern seemed very narrow top to bottom and not really wide side to side, standing in front of one side to compensate for what I thought was just really poor aim proved the the actual output is very much the way it appeared even together. Since this discovery I have looked at numerous "other" reflectors, they all seem to use some type of bulb diffuser that mine lack, on top of that, my Ebay seller I bought my lights from still sells "my" style of euro light without the bulb diffuser shroud. Looking around on the various threads I expected to find someone mention this deflector but was surprised not to.
At this point with a 2200 mile round trip planned for next week that will include plenty of driving at night I'm tempted to buy another set of euro type headlights with the bulb diffuser just to hedge my bet, it will not take long to change them.
H-E-L-P PLEASE.
One more question, I've seen "projector refit" kits for sale, they imply they'll fit in the stock type headlight housing but to me it looks like the lens needs to come off to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17854734_1409253452429642_551313999424051179_o.jpg (15.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 17834816_1409253459096308_1738313437335801928_o.jpg (22.0 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017, 04:05 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: OBS "cut" headlight reflector questions, really need some input please.

I would buy new light housings, personally. Look for quality ones. Got mine off of ebay, aaand that was a mistake. You get what you pay for I guess. If you're iffy, maybe some stock replacements might be better quality.

I have yet to see any decent true projector retrofit kits out there for these trucks. I saw a thread on some custom ones a while back, but those werent commercially sold. Stick with the halogens or quality HIDs.
Haztanker likes this.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Probably going to do that, I like the idea of the drains in the bottom of the Euro light but what would prevent me from venting some replacement OEM housings?

Old 04-13-2017, 04:43 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage

Well you could always drill a hole in them. But that might actually allow condensation in, because properly made headlight housings should be watertight.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Terminator Nation

You are correct that installing projectors requires splitting open the headlight housings. Just be aware that not all projectors fit inside the headlight housings and the nice vendors don't tell you that even when you provide yr/model info on your truck. Also some vendors don't offer refunds only credit, so if their stuff doesn't fit, you are SOL.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:13 AM
Project Shamu

So does anyone have opinions on the best headlights to buy for our OBS? Housing and bulb together. Mine are getting pretty bad as well.

1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
Old 04-14-2017, 04:57 AM
Native Texan

Garage

vipmotoz obs lights

These are the ones I put on my truck and was very happy with them the are not oem quality but they are good quality. Actually had some one try and buy them off Craigslist when I sold my brush guard.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
Old 04-14-2017, 01:05 PM

There is a company that does custom hid lights for the obs. They use to be a vender here. https://www.powerstrokenation.com/for...tion-hids.html

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
Old 05-31-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I bought another set of "European" headlights, very happy with them, great fit, well made, great light distribution, made the jump to LED bulbs too, what a difference!

This is the listing on Ebay, I'm pleased with this purchase.

1992-1996 FORD BRONCO F-150 EURO CLEAR STYLE LENS CHROME HOUSING HEADLIGHTS PAIR
Old 06-01-2017, 03:30 PM
PSN Local

There's a guy on a Facebook group I'm in called "OBS Revolution" that does complete HID retrofits. His work looks great and I should be buying a pair here soon. His name in Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in