Need ECM part number - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Need ECM part number

1997 F250. Recently swapped E4OD for a ZF5. Ran this combo on the original ECM. Had starting lope and strangely shifting issues. The engine was not falling back fast enough between shifts with the auto ECM. I swapped in the donor stick ECM. Starts and drives great. I want my cruise back and the donor was not equipped with cruise. So I am in need of a good OEM part number for a stick ECM with cruise so I can order a new ECM. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 04:53 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Need ECM part number

Pcm doesn't usually differentiate for cruise.
You probably didn't hook something up. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I will double check. The only thing I can think of that I have not hooked up is the clutch switch. Still have the auto bypass plug in there. Nobody but myself drives this truck so I was not concerned about starting in gear. Had complete non cruise donor and swapped tranny harnesses when I did the swap. I also kept my cruise brake master cylinder as the donor did not have provision for the cruise switch that catches fire. I have not had any of the problems that I have read about others having doing the swap other than my cruise not working. Reckon I will hook up the cruise switch and see if that corrects it. If that does not do it I still suspect the firmware in the factory ECM does not support it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 06:00 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
Pcm doesn't usually differentiate for cruise.
You probably didn't hook something up. Lol

Well since 7.3l has no throttle the pcm has to control the engine in order to control the speed I will post my PCM number tomorrow it is a manual with cruise.
All the cruise switch inputs feed into the PCM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 03:09 PM
Native Texan

Garage

So these are the numbers off my 95 f350 manual trans with cruise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:24 AM
Terminator Nation

Some PCMs did not come with cruise function programmed in but this is usually not identifiable by PCM code. Usually a PCM reflash by the chip tuners will restore cruise function. Manual PCMs are pretty scarce, so a PCM reflash may be the way to go for you. Either a reflash or a chip can get rid of shifting problems when using an auto PCM with a stick. Just explain what you have done to the chip guy.

After that do the usual cruise control failure checks if you still have cruise problems.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 02:15 PM
PSN Veteran

Question - did cruise work with the auto PCM after the manual swap? If so, then indeed the manual PCM might be missing the cruise. If cruise did NOT work with the auto PCM, then the issue is more likely external to the PCM - wiring, clutch switch, etc. The clutch switch jumper SHOULD make the cruise work, however, in any case.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:54 PM
PSN Veteran

I've never personally seen someone have the pcm flashed to wake up cruise.
Only on the interwebs that someone has heard about it. Not saying it's not true, just haven't seen anyone with firsthand experience.
My 94 is beg8, never been flashed at the dealer. Swapped columns, jumped the master cylinder switch, and it works.
Also check the fuse for cruise.

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Cruise was working before the swap. Lifted my cab and engine off 2wd chassis and dropped it on donor chassis. I drove it for several days with the auto ECM but suffered the lopy idle and shifted funny. I don't think the auto ECM allows the engine to fall back fast enough for a smooth shift. I had not swapped my cruise switch master cylinder when I first got it fired up, so no, I do not know if the cruise would work with the auto ECM. Reckon I could swap it back in tomorrow to check. I now have the master swapped and switch plugged in and hooked up the clutch safety switch up today. No dice on the cruise. Very happy with the swap, just want my cruise back.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Here is a pic of the little 250 beast behind our SD back on St Patties Day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode