P1283 No Start No Smoke - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Patrick Feeley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

P1283 No Start No Smoke

This one has me stumped. A little background. The truck is my brothers 1997 F350 with 120,000 mi. Truck is bone stock with the exception it is the "roll a long" package. While driving the truck died and a cel came on. He was unable to start it so had it towed home. Once home the cel was no longer lit but I scanned it for codes and P1283 IPR circuit came up. However given the symptoms I was inclined to check the CPS first. Tried his cheap aftermarket one and no change. I then replaced it with a brand new OEM sensor, still no start, no smoke from tail pipe.

Moving on I checked ucvh and they checked out ok. checked ipr pigtail and found it questionable so I replaced it. Tried unplugging the icp with no change. Replaced ipr with oem replacement still no change. Fuses were checked and looked ok. As a last resort we pulled the pcm and had it checked. It was returned stating it tested fine. Also did a buzz test on the injectors and all passed. Hpop reservoir is full

While cranking the highest hpop reading was 199.5. Ipr duty cycle started at 14.7 but rose to 64.2. Icp 20.52 psi. This is what I found curious and hopefully means something to someone out there. His batteries are only showing 11.5 v reading at the pcm. the batteries have been charged and reading 12.5 at the batteries and anywhere else I could get a volt meter on. Even swapping batteries still only showed 11.5 v at the pcm.

I know this is long winded but I hope my attempt to be thorough might give someone an idea that I missed. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:40 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: P1283 No Start No Smoke

P1283 is the IPR Power circuit trouble code. I've attached the pinpoint tests for your truck. The tests will have you disconnect the PCM and connect a breakout box to the harness connector (leaving the PCM disconnected). You can do these tests without the breakout box. Just replace the words "Test Pin" with PCM Connector Pin" and measure from specified pin to the other specified pin(s). You will need the PCM connector pinout diagram. Since you are from Cali, do you know if your truck is a California 97? The PCM connector pinouts are completely different between 1997 49-state Federal Trucks and 1997 California truck? If it is a Cali model, it will have a shunt with some wiring on one of the large Glowplug Relay posts. It will also have a black disc-shaped pulse damper on the top back of the fuel pump banjo fitting. The PCM will also probably be an MME series code. Post back what you have and I can post the correct connector pinout diagram. Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P1283 IPR Power Pinpoint Tests.pdf (302.5 KB, 4 views)

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you Patrick. I did forget to mention that it is a California truck. Thanks again, your help is truly appreciated.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 02:32 AM
PSN Veteran

For these tests, it won't matter if the diagram is the Federal Connector or Cali version as the affected pins are the same. I've attached the Cali version anyway so you have it for future reference. I also forgot to mention that I had the same code on my 94 and it turned out to be the PCM (hopefully not in your case as the Cali DPC-312 PCMs are very hard to find). Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf C1027 1997 California.pdf (309.5 KB, 2 views)

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks a bunch! I'm sure as I go through this I will be bugging with more questions. For starters I have been looking for something to help me identify the relays, particularly for this test. If you can point me in the right direction that would be great. I hope it is not the pcm as well. I did have it sent out to be testes/repaired and it was sent back as good so? Thanks again for the help.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 04:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Here's the diagram of the underhood fusebox. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1997 Diesel Underhood Fusebox.gif (21.7 KB, 6 views)

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank You Very much! I will dig into it this weekend and see what I can find out.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

ok, today I attempted to run through these test. Oddly enough I am not getting any readings at all from the IPR plug to the PCM. I've inspected the harness as best I can and don't see any issues. What could I be doing wrong? I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but can usually follow instructions pretty well.

Thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:16 PM
PSN Veteran

With IPR and PCM disconnected, you should see continuity from IPR connector Yellow/Red Stripe wire pin to PCM connector pin 83. You should also see continuity from IPR connector Red wire pin to PCM power relay socket terminal 87 (alternatively you should see battery voltage on the IPR red wire pin with the key in RUN). Do a very thorough check of the fuel bowl wiring harness as fuel leaks can make the wiring insulation turn to goo (inside the loom too). Cheers!
rafter3w likes this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well going back through everything with a keen eye and performing the above test, it was determined to be the fuel harness after all. Patrick, Thank you so much for taking the time to assist with this issue. I learned a bunch along the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode