Trip to Florida Need to Prepare - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Trip to Florida Need to Prepare

So I will be taking my truck down to Florida this June. I live in NJ, so it's about a +/- 24 hour drive and I wanna make sure my truck will make it. I have a 1997 F250 CCSB 4WD with a ZF5 manual trans. The truck has roughly 330k on it. The only reason I am worried is when I made a trip from NJ to Texas in my previous truck(95 Chevy with a 6.5 diesel) and it blew the motor half way there. Obviously the Ford has a stronger drive train and motor so I probably shouldn't be worried. That being said, are there any spare parts I should bring, anything I should check before and during the trip or any other general tips? I will be replacing the EBPV with a deleted pedestal which will hopefully fix the oil leak, and I will also be fixing the fuel leak before the trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:59 AM
PSN Local

Re: Trip to Florida Need to Prepare

I'd carry a spare CPS. Are you towing something or just driving the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1995 Crewcab XLT 4x4 7.3, E4OD, 3.55, TS 6 chip, RiffRaff air filter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I am just taking the truck down. I will definitely pick up a spare CPS. The truck has never given me an issue since I bought it last summer, I was just worried because of what happened with the previous truck. Should I also change the IPR before the trip? I have never changed it on this truck and I don't think it needs one but would that be a good idea?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:24 PM
PSN Veteran

I would take a set of Motorcraft filters (fuel and oil), extra oil, vegans booster and, of course, SUNSCREEN!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankcase View Post
vegans booster

^^^^^^??? What the hell is that.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:50 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbluke55 View Post
^^^^^^??? What the hell is that.
Kinda sounds like a bio-diesel stiction eliminator.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:22 AM
PSN Veteran

I would take a good look at the belt and hoses. I would also check the belt pulleys. I carry lots of stuff in my toolbox. Spare CPS for sure, spare fuel filters, spare belt, spare idler pulleys (both smooth and grooved). Other stuff I have: Spare IDM, GPR, Various O-rings, belt tensioner, UVCHs, external GP/Inj harness pigtails, pins and pin removal tool, a piece of a valve cover gasket with a good feedthrough (just in case there are no other options I could mickey-mouse it), fuel pressure gauge, HP Oil Pressure gauge, and some various gaskets I've gathered. Also have a fan clutch wrench set, power steering pump pulley puller, 8-ton bottle jack, and cheapo multimeter. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 04:30 AM
PSN Veteran

I keep extra hpop hoses and head to fpr hoses. Multimeter, cps, wire strippers, wire nuts, bottle jack, inline fuel pump, fuel pressure gauge, and my snap-on scanner. Most important is my cell phone charger and AAA card. If it can't be fixed in 30 mins.....it's getting towed somewhere that can get it done.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 04:52 AM
PSN Veteran

I found out a long time ago that if you pack everything that is recommended either here or on another site that you will need to have a trailer to haul all the extra parts and tools.

For myself I'll change the oil if it is close and if it will need to be done on the trip I'll change it before the trip just to take the hassle out of it. If I don't need to change the oil I'll pull out the grease gun and lube up the few zerts that we have on hour trucks. I'll also go through and check things out before hand.

Other than that I'll take my pack around tool box. With these tools I could almost rebuild a engine on the side of the road. If you feel like it or if you truck uses some oil put in a extra gallon but I wouldn't take anymore than that. A hose repair kit is handy but if you blow a hose you are going to have to go somewhere to get some coolant unless you plan on packing 6 gallons with you.

The best solution is a handy credit card, a full tank of fuel and just don't worry about the rest.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode