Towing - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Towing

Ok so I am not used to making long trips on the highway, but I will be towing my boat down to the Florida keys from my house which is about a 400 mile round trip, my question is what is a safe speed to be towing at with 3.55 gears, also should I be in overdrive the whole time?

Thanks,
Christian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:52 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Towing

Nope you should not be in OD the whole time. Only when you are on the side streets ( up to 45mph zones). Any higher then that. Just hit the button and it will shift momentarily. Sometimes you haft to let your foot off the gas (slightly) in order for OD to kick back on. Obviously don't kick OD off if going up hill (in my opinion). Maybe some one else will chime in that has slightly more experience with pulling boats though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrese04 View Post
Nope you should not be in OD the whole time. Only when you are on the side streets ( up to 45mph zones). Any higher then that. Just hit the button and it will shift momentarily. Sometimes you haft to let your foot off the gas (slightly) in order for OD to kick back on. Obviously don't kick OD off if going up hill (in my opinion). Maybe some one else will chime in that has slightly more experience with pulling boats though.

Ok so if I'm towing with OD off then I should be running at about 60mph so I am at around 2400 rpms?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:09 PM
PSN Veteran

You can drive and tow with your truck in OD with no problems. The only time you need to shift out of it is when the transmission is hunting for a gear such as down shifting and up shifting back and forth. Other than that just drive in OD.

As for speeds, how heavy is your boat and are there any restrictions in place for speeds for vehicles towing something? Other than that just drive at the speed limit if you feel it is safe. Just don't lug the engine down.

Don't over complicate it.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Boat weighs around 6-7k including the trailer

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
You can drive and tow with your truck in OD with no problems. The only time you need to shift out of it is when the transmission is hunting for a gear such as down shifting and up shifting back and forth. Other than that just drive in OD.

As for speeds, how heavy is your boat and are there any restrictions in place for speeds for vehicles towing something? Other than that just drive at the speed limit if you feel it is safe. Just don't lug the engine down.

Don't over complicate it.

Boat weighs around 6-7k including the trailer

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:35 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrese04 View Post
Nope you should not be in OD the whole time. Only when you are on the side streets ( up to 45mph zones). Any higher then that. Just hit the button and it will shift momentarily. Sometimes you haft to let your foot off the gas (slightly) in order for OD to kick back on. Obviously don't kick OD off if going up hill (in my opinion).
Um, just the opposite. You DON'T want OD on side streets and going up hills. You DO want OD on flats and at highway speed.

To the OP - where are you coming FROM? Based on the distance, it sounds like it'll be all or mostly in FL, eh? If you're coming from GA, you may need to take it out of OD on the return trip, since you'll be going up in elevation.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:44 PM
PSN Newb

Thanks for the correction. I always forget the light says "o/d off" when you press the button.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Um, just the opposite. You DON'T want OD on side streets and going up hills. You DO want OD on flats and at highway speed.

To the OP - where are you coming FROM? Based on the distance, it sounds like it'll be all or mostly in FL, eh? If you're coming from GA, you may need to take it out of OD on the return trip, since you'll be going up in elevation.

Yes it will be all Florida, from Jupiter fl (west palm beach) to the keys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:52 PM
PSN Veteran

Just hook up the trailer and go and don't worry about it.

That is unless a elevation change of 20' or so gives your truck troubles now.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode