Cam position sensor - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Cam position sensor

Are there any early signs a cps makes when it's going out? Truck has been acting sorta funny the past day or two. The rpm stays at ~1400 when in 3rd and doesn't move unless it comes to a stop or goes into 4th. Not sure if this is cps or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:48 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Cam position sensor

Usually not. Sometimes they fail to the point where the truck will not run, other times they fail to the point where the idle is not right. They can also have intermittent issues. Basically, it is a toss up. If you are questioning the CPS, just go pick another one up from Ford for $25. It is best to have a spare anyway.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

What would cause the issues I'm having?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Yeah what Justin said and don't get one from parts store I got in a hurry and didn't want to wait till next day so got one and truck ran great until I set the cruise then it would have intermittent misses but could run same speed with out cruise and no miss so get an oem from Ford its worth it.
1995f250 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 04:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995f250 View Post
What would cause the issues I'm having?

So no matter how hard you push the pedal, the RPM's will not go above 1400? If that is the case, I would be thinking there was an issue with a pedal assembly or something. However, like I said, cam sensors are cheap and you should have a spare anyway, so go pick one up and try it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The trucks rpm won't move unless I press the brake or make it shift to 4th or let it downshift. It's only in 3rd, previously had the truck go through test with auto enginuity? I know it's spelt wrong and a test wouldn't go through because it detected the pedal was pressed when it wasn't.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 05:06 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
The trucks rpm won't move unless I press the brake or make it shift to 4th or let it downshift. It's only in 3rd, previously had the truck go through test with auto enginuity? I know it's spelt wrong and a test wouldn't go through because it detected the pedal was pressed when it wasn't.

Okay, then I would suspect the accelerator pedal assembly has got an issue. You should be able to watch this on a scan tool. You can watch the percentage of pedal. If it is not going up when you press the pedal further, you have confirmed the problem.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:29 PM
PSN Veteran

^^^^ This - Set AE to Live Data Grid, and set one of the data displays to "Accelerator Pedal Position %". I *think* that's the name; I know you have to select the one beginning with "Accelerator" and not "Throttle". You can do this key-on engine-off. Once you have it set, work the pedal and see what range it goes through.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I don't have it AE and don't have the funds to buy it or a computer to install it on. KBMKVIII helped me get the truck back up and running good. Thankful for his help.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
I don't have it AE and don't have the funds to buy it or a computer to install it on. KBMKVIII helped me get the truck back up and running good. Thankful for his help.

The only easy way to diagnose the pedal is with an OBDII scan tool that can monitor that PID. Does not necessarily have to be AE, but you will need something that can do the live data on these 7.3L's. Without a scan tool, you are just shooting in the dark when it comes to diagnosing and fixing things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode