97 won't run - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

97 won't run

Good day.

I have been having a baffling problem, I like to think I know a lot about the perfect diesel engine, the 97 7.3

But I have a problem that is baffling me. Earlier in the week my turbo that I knew was on its last legs because It has been running up to a Max boost of 38 psi with the setup I have going on, blew up the exhaust turbine broke off. I towed it in and replaced it only to get it all back together and drive 8 miles away and never the truck shut off dead like the ignition was turned off. Since then I have replaced the IPR, ICP,fuel pump and cam sensor. It will start up and run anywhere between 2 and 12 minutes and then shut off and won't start again until the next morning when everything is at its coldest. Then it will start up again it has a slight miss when it runs now until it shuts off. After it shuts off when I crank it the tach does go to about 200 and it does not smoke at all or even slightly attempt to start. The next morning it will start up for it's 2 to 12 minutes a day. Does anybody have any idea. I won't be able to trust​driving it again unless I find something actually wrong. It is a 8700 pound f350 crew cab that's really expensive to get towed. Thank you.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 97 won't run

What mods are there to the truck? CEL on? If it has a chip, physically remove it. How is the oil level? Does it use any oil? You may need to look at the base of the injectors while it runs to see if oil leaks out around the base, indicating a failed top o-ring. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 97 won't run

ok it cranks cold at 500 psi hpop pressure. I hooked hose back up to head and started truck and it ran for about 4 or 5 minutes then shut off. so I unhooked the hose up and back to me gauge and it cranked at just a little over 200 psi. whats the astronomical chances that 2 majorish breakdowns happened within 10 miles of each other. a turbo and a hpop pump. I built over sized injectors 30% over sized nozels, 160 cc intensifiers, last year. turbo upgrades 4 inch intake 3 inch down pipe to 5 inch back to twin 5 inch stacks 80 hp edge tune which I flashed back to stock.

mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode