Tightwad Mod Help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Tightwad Mod Help

Hi all, new to these forums here just got my truck a couple months back been working on things here and there. My rig broke down on me yesterday and had to get a tow home, it was pissing fuel everywhere I could smell diesel in the cab and ultimately the truck ended up not starting and died on the side of the road with a trailer behind it. The leak has presumably come from the fuel bowl assembly due to myself just rebuilding the turbo, I had the fuel bowl out and said why the heck not and replaced all the o-rings in there since I had it out. My question is, should I chase down this leak for my existing fuel bowl or should I do this "tightwad" mod that I see a few guys out here running? If I end up with the tightwad mod, what do I do with the electrical connections that are used on the previous fuel bowl assembly? Just let them hang and not worry about a WIF sensor? Is that going to throw the light on the dash? Any extra pictures or experience you guys have had would be fantastic, thank you.
-Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:00 AM
Project Shamu

Re: Tightwad Mod Help

Heres how I did it, just didnt call it the tightwad mod. Very simple.
https://www.powerstrokenation.com/for...te-w-pics.html

EDIT: Just realized you are driving a SD, mine is an OBS. Unsure if they're different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Sorry mine is an OBS, maybe posted in the wrong forum, thanks for the link Dan, I'll pull it up now.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:33 AM

Moved to the correct section

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:27 PM
PSN Veteran

Ouch that sucks! I have been broken down at a busy intersection in evening rush hour with trailer before, that is not fun.

The electrical connections for the fuel filter sensor, water in fuel sensor and fuel heater all remain unplugged. You won't get any dash warning lights by leaving these disconnected.
I cut my wires back to the connector pins and shortened up the wires going to the IPR. The IRP will now be the only thing on that fuel bowl wiring harness.
I did the tightwad mod to my 97 couple of weeks ago, I love it. Deleted 12 O rings and the fuel bowl. Works like a champ, No leaks. Cost was around $90-100 for 3/8" fuel line, spin in filter, base and brass fittings
I love it because I can see my HPOP, IRP, Fuel pump, and valley its all cleaned up. Plus the removal of the fuel lines you cannot access once the bowl is in place and no more $30 tiny stock fuel filters.
I would not hesitate to do this mod!! Keep your mechanical fuel pump or upgrade to E fuel rail mounted pump, the fuel bowl delete will work either way.
We all it the "tightwad mod" because that's what the original creator dubbed it and it originated on this forum. When I saw it I knew it was a mod for me< iwas hesitant at first and then decided go for it.... and it worked out great. I had fun doing it to, just be careful with your cuts. I did the cutting free hand with a small die grinder, use lots of light so you can see where you are cutting and how deep. A metal cutting band saw would have worked well also.
I have detailed pics and info of how its done to an OBS in my build thread, in my sig
Tightwad mod starts at post 383

https://www.powerstrokenation.com/for...ml#post5581425

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Reading through now, both builds help explain a lot I really appreciate all the help. Going to be my weekend project.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So, this happened, not sure what to do or what my next plan of action can be. I got all the parts today to do the conversion and was tapping the FPR and it broke on the inside it's not usable anymore as I now have nothing to screw the fitting into. Usually I do good work and this just infuriates me. I don't know what to do or what i need to buy now. Any help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7933.jpg (15.0 KB, 20 views)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Been doing a little research, is this essentially the part I just ruined? I see a few companies making these but Fuel Lab seems to be the most renown one of the bunch. These are the Specs on the website. Would this do the trick for me instead of using the stock FPR that I ruined?

Two -10AN inlet ports and one -6AN return port
Gasoline, diesel, methanol, and ethanol fuel compatible
Billet Aluminum with anodize per military MIL-A-8625, Type II
Fine thread pitch for precise pressure adjustment
Versatile mounting bracket and stainless steel hardware
1/8 NPT gauge port with plug for external pressure gauge
1/8 NPT pressure reference port with barbed fitting
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Fuel Lab FPR.jpeg (26.5 KB, 9 views)
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:17 AM
Project Shamu

Haha, I did the EXACT same thing. Twice actually... Thats what made me go to E-Fuel... lol.

As for if that FPR will work, I have no idea.

If you could spend a few hundred bucks more, I would highly highly recommend going Efuel. I spent $571, but I'm sure you could make it cheaper if you needed to. I'm happy I did it not only because Its a reliable system, but it has simplified so much stuff! I can pull the fuel lines out without pulling the turbo. I can remove the HPOP without having to remove anything else, I just under the 2 HPOP lines, and the 2 mounting bolts, and it comes right out. I can even remove the IPR the same way. Much more room in the engine bay, much cleaner look, etc etc. I could go on for quite a while, but E-fuel is my #1 mod that I've done by far.

https://www.powerstrokenation.com/for...l-buildup.html

1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well it's either that or return all these goodies and buy a new ####ty fuel bowl apparently, those seem to be my only options lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode