Help on deciding on engine replace - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Help on deciding on engine replace

So i picked up my 96 not running. When I got it going I started chasing down leaks and replacing some wonky repairs. So far I have a rebuilt turbo, resealed the fuel bowl, new lift pump, New Hpop o rings, new cps, new valve cover harnesses both side and a couple glow plugs that didnt ohm out and a air intake from riff raff. The guy i got the truck from was chasing a no start issues and spent about 2k on lpop, ipr and a few other things.

I have a rough idle until she warms up so im pretty sure the poppet valves are worn, has a lil smoke on idle and take off, ive done the filler cap for blow by and it doesn't move. Have not done a compression test yet. I am loosing oil slowly somewhere with no visible major leaks, and my hpop resi looses oil overnight but i cannot see a leak for it either. oil pressure gauge takes a few seconds to read but ive read that is normal. I have had several times the truck would start then die after a few seconds, but would crank up and stay running after. Truck runs great when warmed up and I have no issues with starting after it has been driven. I found a take out motor that is supposed to have 8 new injectors, new front cover, and water pump. Comes with everything but alternator and AC pump for 750. Said it ran great and was taken out because the truck was in a fire but engine wasnt hurt. Motor has 330k.

Question is should I just pull mine and swap in the take out and work from there? Or try and track down the issues with the motor that is in it and use parts from the take out? Im going to get the motor regardless as it seems like a good deal even if its just for parts. Looking for everyone's thoughts and what they would do if in this situation. Just looking to make the truck reliable, not looking to make crazy power.

96 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:10 PM

Re: Help on deciding on engine replace

Sounds like you just need new injectors. I say swap out the injectors from the new engine.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 PM
PSN Veteran

When you have the valve covers off before you pull the injectors you can do a compression test, that will be the first step towards deciding if you need a new engine
Its the oil consumption has you thinking it needs help? Compression numbers will remove quesswork

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410customs View Post
When you have the valve covers off before you pull the injectors you can do a compression test, that will be the first step towards deciding if you need a new engine
Its the oil consumption has you thinking it needs help? Compression numbers will remove quesswork
Ya. It's the oil consumption that has me thinking. Trying to track down an adapter for the glow plugs. I know I can search it but does anyone have acceptable compression numbers handy?

96 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:16 PM
PSN Veteran

the hose for a grease gun works perfectly along with a harbor freight diesel compression tester

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:49 PM

Anything under 300 is getting pretty worn. 350+ is good. Post up some numbers when you get them.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbluke55 View Post
Anything under 300 is getting pretty worn. 350+ is good. Post up some numbers when you get them.
Thank for the base number. Hopefully get to it this week. Finally got my obd2 adapter to connect and now I'm getting some interesting codes on all 8 cylinders after doing a buzz test.

96 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode