CARNAGE!!! Tie rod pulled out of sleeve while driving, is this frequent? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Bigfoot is an OBS

CARNAGE!!! Tie rod pulled out of sleeve while driving, is this frequent?

Well, not really carnage, but it could very easily have been had it happened 12 hours ago.
It suppose it started last night. 2.5 hours each way to relatives house for a late Christmas party, I noticed that the last 2 turns I made (1- onto the street where I live, and 2- into the driveway) there was a rather loud popping noise, and I felt it in my foot through the floor. I'd had an occassional popping noise before, so I thought nothing of it.
This morning I backed out of the driveway and when I turned the wheel to drive down the street, I heard what I can only describe as a very loud, coarse, zipper. I got the truck driving straight and realized that the steering wheel was 90 degrees to the left! I knew then what it was, but I didn't know which one. It was the right side.
The tierod had pulled almost completely out of the sleeve. The last time it was touched was over a year ago, and that was a easy toe-in adjustment. I took about a half to full turn on each side to get the toe into spec.
By the time I very carefully backed up the street and into the driveway, the tierod had fallen completely out. I drove 330 miles yesterday, mostly highway 65mph - 70mph. Thank God it didn't happen there.

I've almost got the steering torn apart, just waiting on a friend to see if he has a pickle fork. It appears that the threads are pretty well stripped on the sleeve and the tierod. I'll try to get pics once it's finished. Looking at about $200 in parts to get it fixed.

Is this a common failure? I've never heard of it happening. Makes me question the safety of the other side.

Go ARMY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

Re: CARNAGE!!! Tie rod pulled out of sleeve while driving, is this frequent?

Damn that sucks !

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:04 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Do you know the history of the truck? I was wondering if that wheel has ever taken a hard shot in an accident.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Bigfoot is an OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Do you know the history of the truck? I was wondering if that wheel has ever taken a hard shot in an accident.

Tom
I don't know. I bought the truck with about 208,300 miles on it, just over 239,300 on it now. It was a farm truck before it was traded in. Right headlamp adjustment was broken when I bought it, but no other real damage to the front. Every thing else is straight. The fender is obviously the original (judging by rust), as is the core support and bumper.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? Or am I just the unlucky only one?

Go ARMY!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:18 AM
The Oracle

Send a message via AIM to BigRed97

if the adjusting sleeve wasnt tight enough, or it loosened up(even a little) the threads can start moving and if left unchecked will result in what happened to you

CCLB with some stuff done .....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:21 AM
6.4's are my Hero.

Send a message via AIM to Reubine

Holy crap you better be thanking God that you weren't on the highway and close to home.

'95 Ford F-350, CC,4x4,SWAMPS 300/200Hybrids,H-11 Head studs,Comp 910 Springs,Chromemoly push rods,modded TE 17*, GARRETT GT40 TURBO,built trans with 3 disc billet convertor,SWAMPS 6 position chip,3"DP to 6" single, IDM Mod,Gauges,'02 SD IC,Electric Fuel system and bunch of other stuff.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:19 AM
PSN Local

Had that happen to one of our Peterbilts twice. Lost steering completly while on I-95. Scary
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Bigfoot is an OBS

Hmm. I asked around and no one near me had ever heard of this happening.

Pictures:
https://powerstrokenation.com/photopo...873&ppuser=811
https://powerstrokenation.com/photopo...872&ppuser=811
https://powerstrokenation.com/photopo...870&ppuser=811
https://powerstrokenation.com/photopo...869&ppuser=811
https://powerstrokenation.com/photopo...868&ppuser=811
https://powerstrokenation.com/photopo...867&ppuser=811
https://powerstrokenation.com/photopo...866&ppuser=811

I was/am very thankful it didn't pull out on the interstate. If I'd had a welder I would have welded it up and replaced the parts later.

Navistarboy, did they find out why it happened either time?

An interesting point is that the Moog part DS1419 inner tierod (right) fits all OBS F250 4x4 trucks. Doesn't matter what engine or wheel base.

Go ARMY!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:53 PM
PSN Local

No, not sure what caused it. The truck now has 150k + on it since and not a problem. My repair shop said they never seen that happen. Luckily the other time it broke was going through a circle in a intersection.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 PM
6.4's are my Hero.

Send a message via AIM to Reubine

Hopfully you get it sorted out and better luck in the future.

'95 Ford F-350, CC,4x4,SWAMPS 300/200Hybrids,H-11 Head studs,Comp 910 Springs,Chromemoly push rods,modded TE 17*, GARRETT GT40 TURBO,built trans with 3 disc billet convertor,SWAMPS 6 position chip,3"DP to 6" single, IDM Mod,Gauges,'02 SD IC,Electric Fuel system and bunch of other stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode