Long crank to start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Long crank to start

We have a 1994 F-350 Powerstroke with starting/running problems. It has to be cranked an extra long time to start and then sometimes it won't start at all or will start and die. We already tried changing glo plugs and the relay but if anything it got worse. We have already had to rebuild the starter once due to the long crank time. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks, Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 09:11 PM

Re: Long crank to start

Need to get a scanner on it.

First 2 things to watch are ICP while cranking, and IPR duty cycle.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 11:31 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Does, this only happen when it is hot, cold or always.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

We have had it to the shop many times to be hooked up to a scanner with no help what so ever. Sometimes it is a little harder to start in the cold but it seems anymore that it is almost impossible to start at any temp. Any other suggestions.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 04:46 AM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

I agree with Greg on what to look at. That being is it building enough oil pressure for the PCM to fire the injectors.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Local Machine Gun Builder

It's one thing to have it in the shop hooked to a scanner....it's another to have someone who knows WTF they are doing with the scanner!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I agree with that! We live in Alaska and no one in our area seems to know how to work on a powerstroke or how to use a scanner. Every shop wants to just "guess" where the problem is and have us throw parts and labor at it. My dad was a heavy equipment mechanic but he was pre-computerized. I guess since we can't seem to get any help we will start replacing parts ourselves and save the labor cost. Next we plan to try athe cam position sensor and if that isn't it maybe the high pressure oil pump. Does this sound like two likely failures?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 08:34 PM

I doubt it's either.

If you're gonna start throwing parts at it you need to get Auto Enginuity.
Buy it here, best price, best support http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail

You'll need a windows mobile device or a laptop to run it. You could swipe a cheap laptop for this purpose only for a few hundred I'm sure.

then you need to learn how to use it.

You replaced glow plugs and relay but did you verify that they are all working properly still yet?

Have you load tested the batteries? It takes a minimum rpm for it to start. If the batteries are cranking it the least bit slow it will be a slow or no go.
These engines are rediculously power hungry at startup for lots of reasons.

Check fuel pressure.

Does it smoke or miss when it starts? What color?

Don't just throw parts at it. There is enough expertise in this forum (and I'm not talking about me) to fix this problem at night with their hands tied behind their back and blind folded.

Just stick around, ask questions, and approach things in the logical manner and we'll get er fixed for ya.
I will also consult my Ford service manual DVD and see what the troubleshooting process for hard/no cold start is in case we missed something.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will keep checking in to see if anyone has some advice and to update what new info I have. Thanks to everyone that donates their time to this site to help people out of hard situations like mine
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick note to say that the IPR valve has been changed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode