LPOP pressure low - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

LPOP pressure low

My first post so please bare with me. 1997 F250 7.3 with 2005k miles. All stock. I first noticed the oil pressure needle bouncing around when I was pulling my 7k lb trailer back from the desert. In less than 20 miles you climb about 4k ft. The truck starts easy enough. I can recreate the problem now without a load if I get the RPMs up over 2800 for minute or so. My first thought was HPOP res wasn't keeping up. First test I did was to hook up a mech oil gauge on the oil filter mount. That's when I started to worry some. When cold (San Diego in the morning) it's around 25 when driving. When warmed up it looks like 15. The needle on the stock gauge is slow to move in the morning but fine when warm. I seem to remember the slow needle just started one morning? Is there anything I can do short of pulling the motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 05:02 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: LPOP pressure low

Install a new LPOP. Pull the main pulley and 4 bolts. Not too bad.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 05:02 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

I am not sure on the specs for the oil pressure, but I do know that the sender on the HPOP reservoir can get flakey and cause the dash gauge to get twitchy. FYI the dash gauge is really just an idiot lite in the from of a gauge as the sender is an on/off switch not a true sender. My only other quick thought is that your oil might be foaming since you can cause this condition just by holding the motor at a high rpm.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Foaming was my first thought. I don't see any visible signs of it. I have seen mention of a bad LPOP causing the oil to foam. Is this true? I thought installing a new LPOP had to be done with the motor out (pan off). I only have a Chiltons manual to go by. Any online directions for reolacing the LPOP?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 08:54 PM
PSN Veteran

Just pull the main pulley. Then remove the 4 small bolts, and slide the pump of the crankshaft. Slide the new one in, and re-install the main pulley.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:31 PM

Died and no oil pressure

Working on a 96 3/4 ton 4x4 . It was running fine then just died .Turns over good and wouldn't even try to start . Found the HPOP res. empty so filled and truck started for a bit and died , res. empty again . Tapped in a oil pressure guage at the filter (guage in dash stuck) No pressure , spun filter off and cranked over and no oil flow . Pulled oil pump off crank and it seems fine . Could the oil pick-up be cracked or what could cause this ? Truck has 220,000 on it . The oil level is full .
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Starting Over

Make sure you install the pump the correct way.They are marked.You will lock up the motor if installed backwards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 AM
you want some of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgonzo View Post
My first post so please bare with me. 1997 F250 7.3 with 2005k miles. All stock. I first noticed the oil pressure needle bouncing around when I was pulling my 7k lb trailer back from the desert. In less than 20 miles you climb about 4k ft. The truck starts easy enough. I can recreate the problem now without a load if I get the RPMs up over 2800 for minute or so. My first thought was HPOP res wasn't keeping up. First test I did was to hook up a mech oil gauge on the oil filter mount. That's when I started to worry some. When cold (San Diego in the morning) it's around 25 when driving. When warmed up it looks like 15. The needle on the stock gauge is slow to move in the morning but fine when warm. I seem to remember the slow needle just started one morning? Is there anything I can do short of pulling the motor?
Same as a couple of others said. The factory gauge is not an actual measure of oil pressure, its a nidiot (meant to spell it like that,.) light that looks like a gauge. If its just above 5 psi it says normal, below 5 psi it says low.
I'd highly recommend the Melling higher volume oil pump. Very easy install, remove fan/ shroud assy. Remove harmonic balancer, pull off the oil pump, install new , replace the balncer, fan/ shroud, and drive!
May want to change the oil soon after, in case any debris got in there.
It doesnt take much wear at all for it to start dropping pressure, and slow to build pressure on startup.
Check condition of front cover for wear also.

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:12 AM

Melling says their LPOP is NOT higher volume.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Sponsor

Melling told me the same thing. They flow exactly the same as stock. They claim it's heavier duty though.
Bob

Bob Riley, Owner:

:

Proud Sponsor of Powerstrokenation.com
GOT DIESEL?ģ Tech Line 352-257-1669

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode