Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Will 5.4L E4OD fit my 7.3L?

16K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  madpogue 
#1 ·
Will a transmission from a 97-98 Ford F-150 5.4L E4OD fit my 7.3L F-250? Perhaps by just changing torque converter or is it the same? Trans is showing some age & looking for replacement (240,000 Miles) Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
Ok, Yeah, what I meant by "fit" is will it bolt up. Thanks for your response as I can move along to find a 7.3 specific transmission.

#5 ·
thanks, I decided to have it rebuilt by a local shop $1400 w/2 yr unlimited mile warranty. I just didn't feel confident about buying any "used" transmissions w/a lousy warranty.

#8 ·
NO gasser bolt pattern is the same as the diesel. SOME people have gotten away with ovaling out the holes on a gasser ZF5 to install on a diesel. No idea if that's possible (or prudent) with an E4OD. And if the gear ratios are indeed different, the PCM might not know what to do with the gasser tranny.

Oh wait, this thread's two years old......

#12 ·
I am running a Zf5 manual from a 460 gasser truck. I had to drill ALOT of aluminum to make this happen, but it was not difficult, I did it with a hand drill in about 30 minutes using the 7.3 trans adapter as my guide. The Zf5 manual from the gas trucks has a lower 1st gear. I did it because I found a rebuilt zf5 for $400 that was never installed. It works great!!
Smart choice having your trans rebuilt, much better then installing a used automatic IMO
I wonder if his rebuild is still kicking after 2 years?

#20 ·
^^^^Now that is funny...."I don't give a darn" is....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.