oil pump change out - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Old But Sexy junkie!

oil pump change out

Hey guys, first post here. I'm getting a SD 17 degree OP and would like to know any tips for changing out my old 15. Does anyone have instructions or directions? I've never done it and never have seen it done, yet. While I have things apart, should I change anything out for new parts/upgrades? Thanks to all that reply!

Keep it Nasty! Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

Re: oil pump change out

Get new pump mounting gasket, and an inch pounds torque wrench, silacone for the pump drive gear bolt. The front cover is alum. and can be striped out if gorillaed .I drain the pump res. it saves on clean up, Oreilliys has a handy little pump that makes short work of that. As far as getting the pump drive bolt out remove the serp. belt,remove the 2 8mm or you can use a 5/16 sae socket.The drive bolt is 18 mm IIRC,I use a 3/8s impact with a short extension and zip it off and back on. I is easy just take your time and be sure and fill the hpop res. when you are done it saves time on restart.
I am sure I left out a few item but others will chime in I am sure.
P.S. this is a noticable gain in some of the lower rpms. Nore oil is good!

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Old But Sexy junkie!

Aljay, thanks for the reply! I've found out that I may need to remove the fuel bowl to get at some bolts in the back. Is this a must do?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 02:48 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyCraker View Post
Aljay, thanks for the reply! I've found out that I may need to remove the fuel bowl to get at some bolts in the back. Is this a must do?
I excised my bowl a long time ago,Yeah you have to loosen it or remove it I can't remember if you remove it you may want to replace the fuel lines if they look crappy.

Tuned by T Wildman
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 07:27 PM
PSN Local

Hey Brad, good to see ya here
pretty much a repeat of what Aljay said, I dont know if you can do it with the bowl in place Im pretty sure you cant. I had to do mine 2 times since the first one blew out. I pulled the bowl both times.
Also when I did em I put a little rtv on metal part of the gasket to help it stay in place on the pump.
Dan

97 PSD 34
470hp/940tq, FFD, BDP, TW, RockinSPerf, Tymar, Stealth Oil, modded H2E, 230 cc a codes studs&springs, dual 4" exhaust, 7.3 IC, gauges, TC LU,TC/shiftkit, Family rig:02 7.3 Excursion tymar intake, 4"mbrp tb, evo 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Old But Sexy junkie!

Yesterday I took out the SD oil pump with no problems, other than I forgot the gasket. Now, new questions:

The gear that came out has no keyway? Nothing keeps the drive gear from spinning other than cranking down the 18mm thru bolt? Sounds like a bad idea to me, but I'm guessing this is just the way it is. Also, the SD oil lines are quick-connects? Another bad idea in my book.

Also, do I need the new oil reservoir from the SD or reuse my old one?

Same question for the main gear, use the new one or the old one?

And finally, do I need to change the IPR? My truck is a 97.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

The gear works just tighten the crap out of it.
You can use all your 97 stuff . Swap the fittings and use your 37* ones from your 97.

Tuned by T Wildman
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 03:15 AM
PSN Local

yeah what he said (again) all I used swappin over was the hpop really. swapped over my 97 fittings onto the 17* pump, and the SD pump I got, had an IPR with it so that was it the rest was all 97 stuff.

97 PSD 34
470hp/940tq, FFD, BDP, TW, RockinSPerf, Tymar, Stealth Oil, modded H2E, 230 cc a codes studs&springs, dual 4" exhaust, 7.3 IC, gauges, TC LU,TC/shiftkit, Family rig:02 7.3 Excursion tymar intake, 4"mbrp tb, evo 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode