Sagging doors - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Sagging doors

Ever since I've had my truck, I've noticed that both doors seem to sag a bit. When ever I shut the door they would go up. Well lately the drivers side door has been rubbing a bit between the lower right corner and the cab. Also it will not shut all the way. I can still see a little gap between the door and the cab.

What the best way to fix this? I have never adjust doors before and don't want to make it worse. Also it looks likes the plastic bushings that door latches onto is wore out. Where is the best place to get those.

Thanks!

Everett

1997 F-250 Heavyduty, Powerstroke, DIY Intake, 4X4, 5 speed, SWD 4:10 axle, 4" Flo-Pro SS Exhaust
Dana 60 conversion with PMF RSK with superduty V code springs, Rear superduty B code springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:21 AM
STILL LEARNING

Re: Sagging doors

Go to your local auto parts store and look on their HELP rack. They make replacement pins and bushings to service fords non servicable hinges. Either that or go buy new hinges

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 AM
PSN Veteran

It's HELP! #38410. You need two per door. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:37 PM
PSN Local

I got new metal pins and bushings from napa pretty cheap. Do not unbolt the hinge from the door or body. Have someone hold the door while you r&r the pins/bushings. I unbolted the hinge from the door, and it took forever to get the door lined up just right.

new to me truck:02-99 f350 cclb 4x4 6sp bdp stg 1's, TW 6 pos chip, diy tymar everything else stock, that I know of, talk about bassackward upgrading, but I wanted my NEW stg1's in my 'new' truck
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

Me I grind the stock pins in half with a carbide cutter and rest the door on a stool I had that I could set the height on. Took me a little time to do it but its nice to not have to slam the darn doors.I just replaced the plastic bushing on the striker bolt today.No more rattling door. its funny how my last too trucks just the drivers side was toast. You might have to get creative to get the old bushings out of the hinge halfs. I used a long punch.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 AM
97 OBS PSD

Are you in Morgantown or Hedgesville? I am in Fairmont. I just did mine and could likely lend a hand if necessary. I marked my doors, unbolted them and worked the hinges on the truck. The door panels did have to come off to disco the speaker wires. I work odd hours and have an outage coming up, but I am sure we could schedule something if you do not want to tackle this one yourself.

Aaron

97 PSD 4X4 250K, Ron Holland/Banks 1.00 A/R, EBPV Delete, 3" DP, Kitty Delete, PHP Phoenix 6 POS, 140V IDM, Autometers on the Pillar,4" Intake, 17 degree SD pump, 18-20 psi depending on setting...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Did you all just replace the bottom one or both of them?

Aaron, by next week I will be in Morgantown for school. But hopefully I can get it done tomorrow with help from my dad. Just depends how things goes with getting the manifold off. One bolt had to give me problems.

I think i might try to do it by supporting the door and then cut the pin and if needed to get the bushings out, unbolt the bottom hinge but leave the top hooked on.

Everett

1997 F-250 Heavyduty, Powerstroke, DIY Intake, 4X4, 5 speed, SWD 4:10 axle, 4" Flo-Pro SS Exhaust
Dana 60 conversion with PMF RSK with superduty V code springs, Rear superduty B code springs
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 02:57 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

I do them both ! But I over do some things.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 AM
97 OBS PSD

I replaced both. Pulled the door, drilled the top and bottom, cut the factory hinge and drove the ends out seperately. First door took 8 hours, second door took 30 minutes.

I am about 20 miles south of Motown with a pretty fair complement of tools.

If ya need anything, drop me a line. I am in the phonebook. Username is the one mom gave me...

Aaron

97 PSD 4X4 250K, Ron Holland/Banks 1.00 A/R, EBPV Delete, 3" DP, Kitty Delete, PHP Phoenix 6 POS, 140V IDM, Autometers on the Pillar,4" Intake, 17 degree SD pump, 18-20 psi depending on setting...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:06 AM
STILL LEARNING

Dont unbolt the hinge unless you have too(you will loose your alighnment). If you can, hang the door from and overhead rafter, garage door track, A-frame withe small ratchet straps. Just cut the center of the pins and pull them out from each end. Mone the door away from the truck. Drill out the hinges to accept the bushings, install the bushings. Swing door back to truck and drop in new pins. Should not take more than 30 min per door

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode