Battery issues!!!!!!!!1 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
96 Ford F-350 PSD

Battery issues!!!!!!!!1

I have 2 redtop optima batteries (34/78) relocated to the tool box in the bed and this is the second pair that will never hold a charge. If the truck sits for more than 2-3 days then I have to put the charger on it to start the truck. I have installed a 200amp alt to help with the load, and it still doesn't help.

I am just wondering if I have the right size wires running from the starter/starter relay to the batteries? I have two 1gauge wires that run all the way to the starter/starter relay and then one 1gauge that goes to the frame and then from the frame to the block. Charging system says that it is charging.

Any Help?

96 Ford PSD! Custom intercooler, 01 Aluminum radiator, S&B Intake, 5" exhaust, Stage 2 injectors, Complete stud kit, 3" aluminum intake plenums, Fuel system w/aeromotive pump and regulator, Coolant filter, BTS Trans, Adrenaline HPOP, live tuned DP Tuner, 4" lift, MKW19 wheels and Toyo MTs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Starting Over

Re: Battery issues!!!!!!!!1

I thought you needed 00 wire for battery connections?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford3544 View Post
I have 2 redtop optima batteries (34/78) relocated to the tool box in the bed and this is the second pair that will never hold a charge. If the truck sits for more than 2-3 days then I have to put the charger on it to start the truck. I have installed a 200amp alt to help with the load, and it still doesn't help.

I am just wondering if I have the right size wires running from the starter/starter relay to the batteries? I have two 1gauge wires that run all the way to the starter/starter relay and then one 1gauge that goes to the frame and then from the frame to the block. Charging system says that it is charging.

Any Help?
Red tops have gone down hill the last one I owned did not last.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:47 AM
PSN Veteran

have you checked for a slow draw on the batteries? When you say 1 gauge, do you mean 1/0? either way that should be more than enough

If it doesnt have a draw I would probably say that you have a problem with the batteries
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:51 AM
original "REZNECK"

you can always get them charged up and load test them one by one

twice tottalled
01 F250 cc 4x4 straight pipe, custom front and rear bumpers, 1 ton rear susp, flatbed, TS Chip, king ranch rims, 315 tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljay
Since when do 7.3's puke coolant like an overfilled hooker on a busy night ?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 02:19 AM
PSN Veteran

^^^^^ +1. Disconnect both negatives after running it next time; see if they discharge over time.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
96 Ford F-350 PSD

I have charged them this afternoon. I am going to see what happens. I found a few gauges that I installed that I put on a constant power instead of key on. So who knows. I am not liking the Optima's!!!!!!!!!!

96 Ford PSD! Custom intercooler, 01 Aluminum radiator, S&B Intake, 5" exhaust, Stage 2 injectors, Complete stud kit, 3" aluminum intake plenums, Fuel system w/aeromotive pump and regulator, Coolant filter, BTS Trans, Adrenaline HPOP, live tuned DP Tuner, 4" lift, MKW19 wheels and Toyo MTs.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 AM
RDRCM

#1 is on the small side. I use 2/0 on all battery relocates. Voltage drop plays a huge roll.

Sold

2006 Almighty CumminGs
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
96 Ford F-350 PSD

What batteries are you guys running?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:31 AM
PSN Local

Every optima i have used has more than payed for itself many times over, so i dont know where you guys are getting off talking about the quality of optimas going down. You have to have the correct size battery matched to your application of course, which i hope you have. Any constant drain on your battery will cause it to go dead. Plain. Simple. And you should be happy you have bought optimas because they ARE DESIGNED to go from fully charged to depleted over and over again. A regular battery would of gone belly up by now in your application.

So i would advise you make double sure, everything in your charging system is hooked up correctly, including your isolators for the dual battery setup, correct wire gauge, connections, whatever accessories you have on your rig...etc.

And if you have a question about what could be possibly draining the batteries you should fill us in on what extra equipment you have on your electrical system; extra accessories.

Optimas or Odessy's are what i use.

1995 Reg Cab 2wd LB--Baby Swamps/SBC Con OFE/Ts 6pos/ Swamps tunes/ Intake/ Exhaust/ No lift on 35's

4runner buggy, on 4d's, chevy 4.3 cpi/4l60e, 5.71's, Doubler with 4.7 rear case, linked rear, longs...etc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode