The harder I try, the deeper I get...Help **moved** - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

The harder I try, the deeper I get...Help **moved**

Newbie here tryin' desparately to avoid the dealer for repairs on my stock '97 F250 7.3L sclb.
A month ago my truck ran PERFECT, except for the popular "fuel leak in the engine valley" I cleaned the thick layer of crud from the bottom of my fuel bowl. No visible cracks, a few pitted area's but nothing too deep. I degreased the valley and put it back together to drive so I could find the leak. It started running terrible after about 10 minutes. Sat for a few weeks so I bought AE Scan Tool for Fords.
Last week I replaced the screen and O-rings on my FPR, (screen was coated with grime.) Started it up and ran great. I configured AE ScanTool and it reported no DTC's. Drove it for about 10 miles and the CEL came on, started to get sluggish.
Went home and plugged into ScanTool:
P1211 Injector Control Pressure Higher/Lower than Desired ( Engine running.)
Then I ran KOEO Test and got:
P1280 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low
Over the weekend I replaced the entire fuel filter canister assy. Drove and same thing happened, same DTC codes.
Last night I unplugged & checked the ICP wiring & connection. It looked like corrosion was happening inside the connector on one of the pins, so I cleaned it good. Then I unplugged the IPR, inspected the wiring and connectors. Removed the IPR solenoid so I could check that part of the connector. Cleaned the connectors and put everything back together.
Now my truck won't even start!
AE ScanTool shows: P0344 Camshaft Position A Circuit Intermittent
What could I have done to cause the CPS to die and does this mean I need a new CPS? When my CPS went bad a few years ago, the truck would start, but would die at random times. Tonight I'll put a new CPS in and see if it starts. If so, I can rescan to see if P1211 & P1280 are gone.

Anybody got any ideas?

My co-workers keep telling me to try Obama's "Cash for Clunkers." I'm beginning to think the harder I try, the deeper I get. No smilies in this post because I'm not doing much smiling lately! Sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:07 PM
HHAUL'N STROKER

Re: The harder I try, the deeper I get...Help

Does your tach move while you crank?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Re: The harder I try, the deeper I get...Help **moved**

It moves a little bit.
Maybe to 75 RPM or so, just enough to bump up from 0.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Kid with a Wrench

Send a message via MSN to AlaskaRedneK

Whish I was there to take a quick peek...

I can tell you you need more than 75 to start, more like 300 iirc.

-Matt

'97 F-350 CC/LB 7.3L PSD 4x4 4.10's, Fresh Engine, Stacks, 7 Gauges, AFE, e-fan, BIG Kustom fuel system, 250cc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hybrids w/ 100%s, H2E, 3" intakes, Bad Boy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tranny built by me, ARPs, 910s, P-rods, 17*, SD IC

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:31 AM
PSN Local

The CPS may be flakey or it may be a wiring issue. Have you been disconnecting the batteries while your changing stuff out? Anyway get another CPS and check the harness and connectors.

Pete in San Ramon
2005 F250 6.0 Lariat 4x4 CC Short bed (stock)
1997 F250 7.3 XLT 4X4 Reg. cab (stock)
1986 F250 6.9 XLT Gone but not forgotten

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:10 AM

same thing different day.... fixing the ol "clunker"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:34 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Are you SURE the IPR wiring and connector are ok? Almost every OBS I see has fuel all over the connector and the insulation on the wires is starting to, or is pulled back, leaving the 2 wires to touch and short at random times.

If it ran before you worked on it, it is most likely something you touched, go back over your work and verify everything is clean and corrosion/damage free.

Dave

ON EDIT: You say the ICP connector has corrosion? How did you clean it, and what does it look like now?

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode