how to check fan clutch? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
<---Best intake plenums

how to check fan clutch?

How do you know if you have a bad fan clutch? I have been having temp issues for some time. I pulled my 26' camp trailer this weekend. It was bout 100* out. When i stopped i checked how the fan would spin by hand while hot. It was a little tight but not bad. Checked it agian this morning when it was cold and it spins the same way. There is no diff on how it spins from hot to cold. Any ideas?

RDRCM #29
"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed,without any other reason but because they are not already common" John Locke

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 06:27 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Re: how to check fan clutch?

Best way to check it is to wait till its 100 degree's outside again. Sit at idle for a few minutes running the a/c. Then pull out on the road and accelerate. If it sounds like the motors about to come out from under the hood or sounds like a jet engine for a short period then quiets down the fans working fine

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
Best way to check it is to wait till its 100 degree's outside again. Sit at idle for a few minutes running the a/c. Then pull out on the road and accelerate. If it sounds like the motors about to come out from under the hood or sounds like a jet engine for a short period then quiets down the fans working fine
Lol

Thats exactly what mine does.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:01 PM
oil burner

iirc its just a ball bearing packed with a special grease that thickens when it gets hot,if the fan clutch is hot and you are able to spin the fan with no resistance its bad
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:15 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
heh

I call it my afterburner!

'95 F250 Extended Cab E40D 2WD

IDM MOD - HPX -
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:27 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
How do you know if you have a bad fan clutch? I have been having temp issues for some time. I pulled my 26' camp trailer this weekend. It was bout 100* out. When i stopped i checked how the fan would spin by hand while hot. It was a little tight but not bad. Checked it agian this morning when it was cold and it spins the same way. There is no diff on how it spins from hot to cold. Any ideas?
I would think it's time for a replacement. Mine was like yours and I replaced it. Now it works like it's supposed to as stated above. Of course there may be other issues causing any high temps.

Pete in San Ramon
2005 F250 6.0 Lariat 4x4 CC Short bed (stock)
1997 F250 7.3 XLT 4X4 Reg. cab (stock)
1986 F250 6.9 XLT Gone but not forgotten

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:13 AM
PSN Mega Miler

Heres how I checked fan clutches when I was a mechanic YEARS ago.

Crank the vehicle. Take a broom and use the bristle end to try and stop the fan. You can stop any of them even with a good clutch so thats not the part your looking for but if it seems like it doesnt want to stop to the point its scaring you then stop there and rest assured the fan clutch is fine.

If it does stop dont count it as bad yet. What you want to see is how fast it spins back up when you pull the broom bristles off of it. If it seems to slowly start spinning again then the clutch is bad. If it starts back to spinning almost instantly its a good clutch. Bad clutches also dont pull on the broom when stopped. Its like its not connected at all.

Also for the record for the flaming Im sure I'll catch from this, you dont just RAM the broom in there either. Use the brush part to slow the fan down till it stopped or refuses to stop easy.

Anyone that comments after this with anything about "id never do this" or thats crazy, etc. Its been used for years by mechanics to test fan clutches and if you have old enough service manuals "pre 80's era" its in there as a test method.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:05 AM
PSN Local

Thats a pretty good one actually. Much better that some others I won't mention. Good tip thanks!!! Can you fix my e-mail notification problem? Or lack of it? Has never worked.

Pete in San Ramon
2005 F250 6.0 Lariat 4x4 CC Short bed (stock)
1997 F250 7.3 XLT 4X4 Reg. cab (stock)
1986 F250 6.9 XLT Gone but not forgotten

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:06 AM
PSN Mega Miler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwoolw View Post
Thats a pretty good one actually. Much better that some others I won't mention. Good tip thanks!!! Can you fix my e-mail notification problem? Or lack of it? Has never worked.
Checked out your account and it all looks fine. Try this for a test.

Change your email address to something else. A yahoo account or gmail account or something. If you dont have another account go make one and use that

See if it sends you emails then. If it does then set it back to what you had it at to start with and see if that shows up then.

If it works with other email accounts but not your current one then that isp isnt accepting email from psn. If changing it around makes it work with the original email you started with then count it as a fluke.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode