Front TTB weird noises - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Was PSD0389

Front TTB weird noises

Ok so this piece of crap TTB front end is making all kinds of weird noises

Now less than 2 years ago this thing has had, new ball joints, put on warn premium hubs, new rotors, pads and caliper on drivers side.

So recently Ive noticed that when I make hard turns or go in reverse I get a very loud clicking sound from my front end. Any ideas on what that might be? ball joints again?

Then when I lock the hubs and engage 4x4 every revolution of the tire, halfway into the revolution I get a very loud creeking sound like some terrible sounding metal on metal sound to the point that I cant even lock my hubs cuase its so bad, what could that be?

Im so tired of this front end and if this is an expensive fix Im ripping it out and finding a Dana 60, Im sick of dumping money in this front end

Thanks for the help guys

03 F-350 CCLB King ranch undergoing a 6.0 delete
99 Fummins- SOLD
95 F250- SOLD
08 6.4- Totaled 12/19/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:32 AM
PSN Local

Re: Front TTB weird noises

UUmm how long has it been since you changed your u-joints (one per knuckle) and the u-joint on the pinion yoke??

1995 Reg Cab 2wd LB--Baby Swamps/SBC Con OFE/Ts 6pos/ Swamps tunes/ Intake/ Exhaust/ No lift on 35's

4runner buggy, on 4d's, chevy 4.3 cpi/4l60e, 5.71's, Doubler with 4.7 rear case, linked rear, longs...etc
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:44 PM
PSN Local

Send a message via AIM to TNScrambler

I'm guessing the loud metal on metal sound is probably ujoints...as for the clunking my guess would be the center pivots. Even if the bushings are still good which they probably are not I would check the brackets...mine drove strait and had even tire ware but made some clunking, when I pulled it all apart to swap in the d60 my center pivot brackets were loose in the frame and looked as though a few of the bolts had already been replaced.

Justin

2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 Auto 3.73s on 285s adj. Rancho Shocks (with dual front) tripple guages and a diablo chip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

There is a TSB for one of the rivets on the frame ,my truck pops sometimes while backing and turning.
I too would like to get rid of the TTB .

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:44 PM
OBS junkie

Mine did that back when I was still rocking a TTB. Back up & hit the brakes.....CLUNK. A friend told me I needed a bushing kit, just gotta drop the arms down & replace the bushings. I came across a deal on a clean 60 I couldn't pass up so in she went.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Was PSD0389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Rebel View Post
Mine did that back when I was still rocking a TTB. Back up & hit the brakes.....CLUNK. A friend told me I needed a bushing kit, just gotta drop the arms down & replace the bushings. I came across a deal on a clean 60 I couldn't pass up so in she went.
yep mine does that, Im so tired of dumping money into this POS front end, I need to find a D60 and be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljay View Post
There is a TSB for one of the rivets on the frame ,my truck pops sometimes while backing and turning.
I too would like to get rid of the TTB .

hmmm guess that could be a possibility for me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNScrambler View Post
I'm guessing the loud metal on metal sound is probably ujoints...as for the clunking my guess would be the center pivots. Even if the bushings are still good which they probably are not I would check the brackets...mine drove strait and had even tire ware but made some clunking, when I pulled it all apart to swap in the d60 my center pivot brackets were loose in the frame and looked as though a few of the bolts had already been replaced.

Justin
I think the u joints are fine, the axle doesnt move at all when I get under there and try to wiggle it. This is all just sounding like more crap to fix, definitley time for an axle swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottapher View Post
UUmm how long has it been since you changed your u-joints (one per knuckle) and the u-joint on the pinion yoke??
Ive had the truck for two and a half years, I never replaced them

99 Fummins- SOLD
95 F250- SOLD
08 6.4- Totaled 12/19/10
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:02 PM
OBS junkie

I'll sell ya mine for $1000.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Was PSD0389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Rebel View Post
I'll sell ya mine for $1000.
your gettin rid of it? Im actually going to consider that, what gears are in it? Are brakes and everything in good shape? Anything that needs to be fixed?

99 Fummins- SOLD
95 F250- SOLD
08 6.4- Totaled 12/19/10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode