Vacuum pump squeak toy - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Vacuum pump squeak toy

'95 PSD 5-speed 4x4 ext cab, 64,000-ish miles. Yes, I did a search.

The vacuum pum squeaks like a doggy squeak toy, aprx once per revolution of the pulley. It sounds more like an internal squeak, like a diaphragm inside the pump or something, rather than simply a shaft bearing noise.

Not seeing any pump oil on the outside. It also sucks big time ... I mean, it doesn't suck ... I mean, it produces plenty of vacuum. No idea if it's OEM or aftermarket; it has a sticker with some brand name I don't remember, and "Made in Hungary".

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 AM
PSN Local

Re: Vacuum pump squeak toy

R u sure the noise isnt comming from the power steering pump just below the vacuum pump? Does the noise go away after you have been driving for 10 mins?

1995 Reg Cab 2wd LB--Baby Swamps/SBC Con OFE/Ts 6pos/ Swamps tunes/ Intake/ Exhaust/ No lift on 35's

4runner buggy, on 4d's, chevy 4.3 cpi/4l60e, 5.71's, Doubler with 4.7 rear case, linked rear, longs...etc
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:47 AM
<---Best intake plenums

i have the same squeak from my pump. been like that for some time now.

RDRCM #29
"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed,without any other reason but because they are not already common" John Locke

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 AM
Harl

Send a message via AIM to Harl

Yep.. When we had the motor out of my dads 97 if you took it and turned it by hand and it made a squeak but when its running at normal speed its fine..

Cody,17
DD-1996 F250 Powerstroke, 5speed, 4x4 ecsb

Mods: GlowShift Gauges-Boost, Pryo, Oil psi and Fuel psi. DIY 6637 Intake, 160/100's, Wildman 6pos, Stage 2 water/meth, D66, TE HPOP, Vailer Clutch, Custom Bars and 5in turbo back....

PT-1995 F350- totaled
Soon to be brought back to a 1992

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottapher View Post
R u sure the noise isnt comming from the power steering pump just below the vacuum pump? Does the noise go away after you have been driving for 10 mins?
I removed the belt and spun each pulley by hand. The vac pump was the only one that had a voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin96 View Post
Yep.. When we had the motor out of my dads 97 if you took it and turned it by hand and it made a squeak but when its running at normal speed its fine..
Well, something was squeaking with the engine running as well. Serp belt is way past its bedtime; I think it's the original (Ford Part # is barely visible), but the noise sounded more like a component squeak than a belt squeal. I suppose I could put a fresh belt on first and try it. Shoot, I could pull the belt off the other truck, I suppose.

So is this for real: Ford Vacuum Pump - 7.3 L ? It's a wicked good price; just a few dollars more than some iffy reman, and they claim it's OEM. And with no core, we'd have a spare. Reputable enterprise? Too good to be true?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 04:34 PM
<----Simply the best.

Send a message via AIM to StrokerTurbo7.3

Mine squeeked when it went bad. Are the brakes tough to apply?

No longer a proud member of PSN.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokerTurbo7.3 View Post
Mine squeeked when it went bad. Are the brakes tough to apply?
No, like I said, vacuum is right up there. HVAC controls work fine. Still, I think we're set on replacement; at least with that accuratediesel one, we'll have a spare. Still wondering if they're legit/reputable.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 08:21 PM
THE ONE AND ONLY!

Send a message via AIM to Big K Send a message via MSN to Big K Send a message via Yahoo to Big K

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
'95 PSD 5-speed 4x4 ext cab, 64,000-ish miles. Yes, I did a search.

The vacuum pum squeaks like a doggy squeak toy, aprx once per revolution of the pulley. It sounds more like an internal squeak, like a diaphragm inside the pump or something, rather than simply a shaft bearing noise.

Not seeing any pump oil on the outside. It also sucks big time ... I mean, it doesn't suck ... I mean, it produces plenty of vacuum. No idea if it's OEM or aftermarket; it has a sticker with some brand name I don't remember, and "Made in Hungary".

Ideas?
Be ready to REPLACE it....it will FAIL VERY SOON.....

Kevin "Big K" Neal
President and Webmaster
North Texas Power Stroke Association

972-768-7252
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Crazy Talk

Send a message via AIM to powerstrokenstang

the little round button on mine rattles. god i hate that thing. any fixes?

1996 F-250 ex-cab -D60- Motor,fire hoses-Nate,Tuning,Cam-Matt R,P-rods,dummy plugs-Wipe Out,Huffer-Engineered diesel,Carson,Gen3,Idm-Swamps,Rods,studs,fire rings-WOP,Clutch-Valair
455/400's in,S475 T-6 mounted

'84 f-350 2wd, 6.9l, 4spd, drw, flatbed. For Sale

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 PM
PSN Veteran

when it fails it will be swift, messy and leave you stranded

2000 F250 CCSB-- GT4294R, 250/100s, Dahl/Fuelab, PHP, scan gauge, stock 17* pump

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
1997 F250 CCSB 2wd (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode