a wierd sputter while driving - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jake_v_03

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

a wierd sputter while driving

the other day my 1997 f350 7.3l powerstroke took forever to start, it would just crank forever with out any firing or smoke coming out of the pipe, and then it finally started and i drove it about 4 miles down the road and it stalled, then i let it sit for a little and it fired up again, then i drove it and it stalled and never started again, so i took the program out of it "TS Performance chip" and it started up and has ran with no problems since, but just yesterday it has started doing a sputter thing while i am driving it, it only lasts for like a milla second and then it runs fine but it will keep doing that from time to time and i dont know what it is, i changed the oil and the camshaft position sensor when it wouldnt start the other day so i know that it is not going bad, so if anyone could help me out with knowing what this little sputtering deal is i would appreciate the tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:39 PM
PSN Local

Re: a wierd sputter while driving

My 95' 7.3 also has "sputtered" for literally a second while driving down the highway, and then picks back up where she left off. This happens very infrequently, and i was thinking it was my cps, which i will be replacing this weekend. I am hoping it is not fuel related, my pressure at idle is good, i have yet to had a hand in checking it at wot.

1995 Reg Cab 2wd LB--Baby Swamps/SBC Con OFE/Ts 6pos/ Swamps tunes/ Intake/ Exhaust/ No lift on 35's

4runner buggy, on 4d's, chevy 4.3 cpi/4l60e, 5.71's, Doubler with 4.7 rear case, linked rear, longs...etc
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:03 PM
PSN Veteran

I'd make sure your oil level is high enough, that's the first thing. remember, our injectors are fed by oil, so too little and it won't run right. OP- that would be my guess for your case.
Scott- CPS usually starts like you mentioned then degrades rather rapidly to dying followed by not starting. when this happened to my friends truck, it was a matter of 45 miles from first symptoms to side of the road. you'll know if it's the CPS soon enough. if you want to test fuel pressure under load, you can have someone rev it while in park. it really shouldn't drop under those conditions.

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 02:29 PM
PSN Local

Mine would do the same thing when the oil got down a couple of quarts. I have a leak at the pedestal so it drops after a few hundred miles. It shouldn't do it until 4 quarts low. When I changed the oil to the recommended Rotella it got better. If the CPS is bad your rpm gauge will quit.

If it does it again and the oil is full take the cap off the fuel bowl and see if you have fuel before starting again.

1994 F350 Dually w/Powerstroke M.T. 101,000 miles
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 06:41 PM
oil burner

my truck starts and runs great except for one condition,it sputters when going down the highway at low load and sometimes when i let off the throttle in neutral it will sputter around 500 rpms then pick up and run smoothly at 600.ive checked connections and oil levels,dont kno where to go freom there. im new to powerstrokes and they are a whole lot harder to trouble shoot than your average diesel.i dont like heui.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

i figured it out it was the cam shaft positioning sensor i had baught one from napa to see if it would fix it but it didnt so when i took the chip out i put the dealer cam sensor back in it and its been fine ever since so dont buy napa stuff, go straight to the dealer
Silo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode